Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Setter

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently purchased the plate setter for indirect smoking. Has anyone used this product. How does it fit within the BGE?

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Ronald Johnston,
    We use ours when we do pizza. Put the plate setter feet down on the grate, then put the pizza stone directly on top. Both of them need to be preheated when doing pizzas. Some people use it for inderect cooks by placing it feet up on the grate, drip pan on that, then put another grate on the feet. Hope this helps.[p]~nikki

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    Ronald Johnston,[p]Here is a link to different ways to setup your grill. Should help you get a feel for how it can look.[p]Cheers![p]- Mike

[ul][li]Grill Setup[/ul]
  • greeneggonmyface
    Options

do you need to use a platesetter for cooking for bbq, ie. slow cooking? can i just put a drip pan on the grate, then put the meat in a v-rack inside the drip pan?

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    greeneggonmyface,[p]I don't have a platesetter and that is how I have successfully done a lot of low and slows. [p]I've started putting a foil lined drip pan (with airspace between the foil and bottom of pan to keep the drippings from burning) on the main grate and the meat on a raised grid over the pan. This elevates the meat from the pan a bit more and allows, in theory, for more heat circulation under the meat.[p]If you save bacon drippings to cook with you can do the same with the dripping from something like a butt, to sautee with or to add an intense smokey flavor to a dish.... but a little goes a long way![p]4 hours and counting til beer-thirty.[p]WD
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    greeneggonmyface,
    Like WD said, some people just use a pan with a rack over it. Some use the plate setter, and some use firebricks. I guess its just a matter of what you like.[p]~nikki

• greeneggonmyface
    Options
    so, let me get this straight - if i dont have a platesetter, i need to elevate the grid, essentially having two levels...one over the fire with the drip pan, and then another with the v-rack and meat on it. Is that right?[p]Does anyone have a photo? Sorry for so many ??'s, but still learning how to use our egg.[p]Also, what about cooking a flanksteak. Should it be seared and cooked quickly, or slow cooked. It has been marinating overnight.
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    greeneggonmyface,[p]Sorry for being long-winded when a simple answer would have sufficed. :~)[p]Yes, you can just put your drip pan on the main grate with the vrack/meat inside the pan. You will be fine with this setup[p]I love flanksteak. Seared fast and hot, 550-650 degrees works for my tastebuds... then sliced thin... yow.[p]2 hours and counting til beer-thirty.[p]WD [p]here is a picture of QBabes butt on a vrack and it looks like she smoked it on the main grid.
    [ul][li]QBabes Butt[/ul]