Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Initial BGE Temp

RodsMan of MD
RodsMan of MD Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,[p]I've visited a few times and am enjoying my new large BGE. One issue I do have is initial temp. control and would like the forum's thoughts, as it were:)[p]So far, I am going low and slow and am having a problem with temps going to 350-400, upon start-up, and then having to wait awhile before I can bring them back down to 210-250. I've been using the starter cubes on top of my lump and while that works fine, the temp issue is throwing all of my other plans out of sync.[p]Last weekend I closed both my daisy wheel and intake dampers way down (bad English) and did a slow start that only went where I wanted it to. While that works, it did take a while to start up. I've read posts and the BGE book says you should be able to start it up, go to 350 or so, then dial it back, and it seems to be fairly quick. But so far, and as I said, it takes a while to come back down for me.[p]What am I missing...thanks!

Comments

• butt.jpg
    <p />Rodsman of MD,
    Here is a link to a description of my first low and slow cook. I used a chimney starter with the lid open to get some lump going. I then dumped it on the prelaid bed of lump and closed the egg. The thermometer shot up to 400 degrees, but with the vents almost closed it came right down. Of course, the egg itself wasn't hot since I had started the lump with the lid open. I went in the house to get everything, and when I opened up the egg, put the plate setter in, the pan full of water, the grid, the v-rack, the butt and then the thermometer, the temp was down to 150. At this point, is regulated the vents to bring it up to 220 and then left it there. [p]Starter cubes (how many did you use? I'd only use one.) will make the temp shoot up to 350, but only because they are heating the air. After the cube burns out, the temp should go back down to 200 or lower.[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Pulled Pork Adventure[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Rodsman of MD,
    As TNW said..you are probably seeing the temp of the burning starter cube..mine will climb to around 400° with the cube burning on top of the lump. It`s simple to either open the egg or look into he top and if you see flames from the cube leave things alone until it burns out and then start setting your desired temp..[p]Wess

• Gator1
    Gator1 Posts: 37
    Rodsman of MD,
    Make sure you keep your fire small for low/slow cooking. You are not relying on direct heating with the BGE dome, so don't be afraid to nurse a small fire in one part of the egg. The easiest way to do this is by closing your dampers down as soon as the starter cube burns out and before more than a few coals are burning. Your fire will then "creep" through the lump pile and you will easily get those 20 hour cooks done! Good Luck.
    Jim

• Rodsman of MD,[p]When I'm doing a low and slow, I put a single starter cube on top of the lump in the center, open up the bottom vent all the way and keep the dome open until starter cube burns up & 2-4 pieces of lump are glowing. I then close the dome and wait for the dome temp to get to 150-160F. Then I'll put a chunk of smoking wood on the glowing coals and put on the meat. I'll then babysit the egg until I get to the desired dome temp. The key is to not let the ceramic get too hot. If it does, it takes forever to get it back down to a low temp. I use MickeyT's temp rings on the dome vent and keep the bottom vent wide open. You can do the same with adjusting the slider top and bottom vent......It's just easier to use the temp rings. Last weekend I did a 7# brisket flat along with 2 pork shoulders. The cook lasted 23-1/2 hours and was done on a single load of (fresh) lump.[p]Hope this helps,[p]Jeff

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Rodsman of MD,[p]Morning. I start my fires with a MAPP torch. To get a low and slow fire going, I just put the torch on one spot at the top and center of the lump pile for maybe 20 to 30 seconds. Ten minutes later I start monitoring the dome thermometer. When it gets to 200º to 225º, I close the lower vent to under an inch and I put on a MickeyT temp ring* (anything under size 5) and I put the daisy wheel on top of the smoke ring. After another 15 minutes or so I tweak the set up get the exact temp I want. Then I go off and play until the cook's done. [p]You're probably wondering what MickeyT temp ring is.Look for any post from MickeyT and he usually posts his e-mail address. Send him a note and hell tell you about the temp rings.
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Rodsman of MD,
    First of all, don't beleive anything the BGE book tells you. When we bought our egg, we were also told to get the fire hot, then bring it down, but after being on here, we learned the correct way. You do not want to get a hot fire then bring it down. As you have found out, it takes forever. Instead, as the others have said, creep it up slowly to the desired temp.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Rodsman of MD,
    If I'm using a starter cube I place it in the center of the lump and light it, I leave my dome open until the cube has died out and the lump is glowing. Now I close the dome and wait for the temp to start to climb, as it gets within about 30° of my target temp I begin to close the vents down and bring it slowly to the desired temp. I light the same way no matter if I'm planing a low temp cook or a high temp steak cook. Sometimes I do use a torch to light it, same thing just a little quicker.
    New Bob

• Thanks for all the suggestions. I was using 2-3 cubes at once but guess I was letting the lump get too hot to start with. My last attempt did work great (18.5 hrs for a Boston Butt) but these suggestions will help.[p]Also, I'll have to check out these temp rings...[p]Finally, why is it that the BGE manufacturer's manual is so far off?
  • Rodsman of MD,
    Why is the BGE manual so far off? I don't think anyone really knows. Why would anyone put in a recipe for baked potatoes that says bake them for 1 hour at 300 degrees? Unless you got pretty small potatoes, anyone who has ever baked a potato knows that 400 degrees is more like it. Maybe they were just playing a joke on all of us? Why? Who knows? Who cares? And to think, they actually sell that thing for money![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Tim M,MY DEALER TOLD ME WHEN I BOUGHT MY BGE THAT THE BEST USE FOR THE MANUAL WOULD BE TO START MY FIRST FIRE WITH IT.
    I THINK I AGREE WITH HIM.