Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indoor egg

Options
brklynbbq
brklynbbq Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A few months ago I had a post where I threw out the idea of putting my medium egg in my garage, since I don't have a very secure front yard.
I would like to stress that I am not as stupid as that post may have made me sound. My garage is essentially a cinder block cube, and I don't think it'd be a huge issue... but I'm not going to do it, unless I really go over the edge and have some sort of venting system put in. Fortunately I have a wife to keep me from going too overboard.
It is debatable, but I suppose pulled pork is not worth the risk of my home and neighborhood... I guess.

This weekend (the 4th) I am breaking out the egg, in the front yard, for it's maiden voyage as a smoker at the new house. I figure I'd ease it in with some ribs.

Thanks you all for all the comments... harsh and otherwise.

Bbbq

now I'll post and amazing recipe to make up for my temporary loss of judgment.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Rather than ask this board why not call your home owner's insurance carrier with your question. Me thinks that will nix the idea and we all remain friends! Then direct your creative thinking toward securing Humpty while he is in your front yard. Is your concern theft or vandalism?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    aw you weren't stoopid, just enthusiastic!

for me, the carbon monoxide issue is as big as the fire issue, FWIW. glad you thought better of it.
    BUT
    you must be reprimanded for waiting to use the egg for this long. bad bad bad!

good luck with the initial cook.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • brklynbbq
    Options
    Theft or vandalism, really. I do fine during the day... it was the thought of not being able to do an overnight pork butt that got me down.
  • brklynbbq
    Options
    Whoa whoa whoa... I said using the egg as a SMOKER... I've already done several pork loins, chickens, steaks, and a pizza. Just nothing slow and low.

I may be stupid, but not crazy! I can't go that long without grilled food.
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    Seems to me that there are some folks who have adopted accelerated methods of cooking pulled pork. I want to say it's at 300 degrees for 8 or so hours. I think Spring Chicken did this. Let's ping him.
    Paul
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    There are a few of us that have had house fires due to barbeque related things. I'm here to tell you it ain't no fun. If your garage is cinder block, including the roof, it would have to be completely empty of anything flammable. It would also need fresh air intake and exhoust and I wouldn't do it without an automatic sprinkler system.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I've cooked a large butt in 6 hours. Tasted and pulled just fine. I'd rather do L&S.

GG
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Sometimes an all night cook, allows the chef to relax with a pal, outside, nearby the egg, while discussing views on life and partaking in alchohol consumption.
    Or you could always start your food early in the morn, and let it cook during the day. Or you could build a concrete cooking station in the yard and chain the egg down. It's hard to steal a hot egg(so don't stop cooking), although the food may come up missing. Good luck.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    That is my thought. Get up early and put it on. Make it a dinner party instead of a lunch party. You can also use a little foil to speed up the cook.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Sorry... I don't think that was me. I have a BBQ Guru and cook butts @ 225°. Just set it and forget...

But I know there are some who cook 'em hotter and faster, and swear they are great.

Spring "Time Is On My Side" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    No one is going to steal a grill at 250deg F......
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    No room in the back? Nothing to chain it too? I agree it would be tough for someone to steal a 250 degree grill.

If you are worried about vandalism, sleep in the living room with the light on and window open. Set your alarm for every couple of hours.

Then you'll have a story to tell about the lengths you went through to cook the butt. It will make it taste that much better.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i can tell that typically during the summer months that both of my large eggs and my small eggs sit out front in my driveway where all can see them who pass by my house and i've never had a problem and i live in an urban area. ... i think folks would be hard pressed to do something with them or to them given their relative weight. . ..i've never really given it a second thought. .. .
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    Bacchus wrote:
    No one is going to steal a grill at 250deg F......
    I used to think the same thing, but then I saw a group of guys steal a big stainless charcoal grill from a tailgate parking lot event. They swooped in fast, loaded it right into the back of their truck, and were pulling out again just 1 minute later. They hit the open road outside of the lot and flame, smoke, ash was blowing everywhere but they kept going. A few years later I saw a guy standing inside a truck bed holding onto a black gas grill which was up against the truck's back window. I figured he was just holding it to keep it from falling. Then we get to a red light and he opened the lid to check on the food! I saw some burgers in there which looked pretty raw but not sure what else he had cooking. My guess is that the flame went out as soon as they started driving...

The world is full of stupid people and surprises. If I didn't have a large egg inside a big heavy tall table then I would worry about theft too. If someone can lift the egg out of my table without disassembling it then they can have it free and clear... as long as they can outrun my home defense mechanisms... :whistle: