Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a great Labor Day and are excited for the start of the NFL this week. If you’re not a sports fan, you can celebrate National Breakfast Month all September and National Cheese Pizza Day on September 5. We can’t wait to share some awesome fall recipes with you all! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Pulled the trigger Friday... New Large BGE!

snoqualmiesmokersnoqualmiesmoker Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I debated getting an egg. I had talked myself out and back in, then out daily of why an egg. I had looked at every brand, saw all the forums, met lots of great people. More so then the grills, its the folks in these forums, not just here, who will just answer the same questions over and over again, with a smile, who won me over. Whatever product they bought, they loved spreading the word on ceramic.

But the cost to enter is big. No matter which brand, this is not a cheap purchase. So i hunted. Ebay. Craigslist. Nothing here. Everyone else seems to find these great deals. Not in the NW.

So I researched. On and on. Drove the wife crazy. Got a flier in mail about a Spa liquidation going on in a city about 30 miles away. I called to see if they had eggs. I told yep. I told myself if the deal was good, I would get the egg. I wanted the Large size. Another brand had a one that fit my budget. Smaller, but I had a budget. So Friday, I packed the kids up on Friday and hit them when they opened. I saw the eggs, asked the guy what the cost was, he told me. I asked what was included, he said the Egg and the nest, and I said "Sold"! Oh Happy Day!
I had got my egg for under budget and with an nest! They packed it up and off we went. I began calling around looking for a platesetter. Found one near my house. Picked it up. Headed home. Then the wait. I had to wait several hours to get help moving the thing.
We got it together and I realized, I had no fuel. I forgot to buy lump.
So the Saturday I hit the Butcher for some BB Ribs, and bought some Lump and an ash scraper. Saturday night I prepped the ribs, and Sunday at 2:00 I lit the egg. And wow. What an easy unit to control. Even for a newbie, it was painless. After about an hour of fuss, it was easy to get it to hold 250 Dome for hours. No fuss. It was a bit boring. I was elated! No more watching the pit to see if it fluctuated. I followed the 3-2-1 method for set up, apple juice in the drip pan, but decided no foil. In the end, my wife told me those were the best ribs I have ever cooked. I even gor a smoke ring. MY FIRST! And there was 3/4 a load of lump left. Wow.
And tonight we cooked a pizza, but I kept it at 325 dome so the gasket can set.
I even ordered the Spider today. I hope to get a controller soon for a long cook I have planned.

I want to thank everyone on the board, especially the Whiz, who has one of the best ceramic sites on the web, for answering my questions.

I started a blog to chronicle my journey. Check it out if you want. Its in the signature.
JB

Comments