Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about Boston Butt

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Guys,[p]I have cooked some boston butts lately using info from the Naked Whiz's website and from reading this forum. They have turned out great. The meat just about falls apart. What I was wondering is, if there is a different method for cooking these if you want to have some good sliced meat with an almost black outside appearance. I really like a good outside sliced sandwich. The way I have been cooking them has been great for pulled meat and just kinda looking for some variety. Any Suggestions? [p]Thanks,[p]Mark

Comments

• Big Boy,
    I have cooked some boston butts at about 350 deg. instead of the low and slow. They make a good sliced sandwich plain or bbq'ed. I still use the same internal temp for the butt. Hope this helps. Pigtail

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Big Boy,
    If you want to make a sandwich using sliced meat pork loin would be a better choice than the boston butt.The butt has a lot of fat in it and needs to cook until internal temp hits 195 to 200.
    Larry

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Big Boy,
    Have a look here to see if it will help.
    New Bob

[ul][li]Pork cuts[/ul]
  • Wazoo
    Wazoo Posts: 150
    Big Boy,[p]Have cooked a many a pork loin on the Egg with great results. Then we brined it before doing the Egg -- absolutely the juicest smoked meat I have ever eaten (right before Soney's B-B-Q down south-east. Try brining.
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Big Boy,[p]Yes you can! This method is very often found in Florida. Just cook your butt as you normally would but take it off the fire when the internal reaches 180-185º. [p]This is just below the pullable stage and still gives the butt a chance to render lots of the fat. I would avoid the high heat method as the fat doesn't have a chance to render out. It has to stay in the plateau for as long as possible to render any fat.[p]Stogie
  • Stogie,
    That's the ticket, should be able to get good slices cooking as Stogie suggests.
    Jim

• Stogie,[p]Thanks for the advice. I will try that on my next butt.
    I will let you know how it turns out. [p]Thanks Again![p]Mark