Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I know I know another butt ?

Firestarter21
Firestarter21 Posts: 309
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So,
I put on a 6lb but at 9 am this morning. Was hoping to come home to a finished butt, it is at 175 13 hrs into the cook. The pit temp was set to 250 throughout the day on the digi q 2. I am certain that it is safe to eat, however the main reason to cook to 195 is for the pulling factor, right???? That is what I thought it was for. I would love to stick my head in the egg and start eating off the grid, my mouth has been watering all day since I put it on.
So, should I crank it up and see what happens? Should I cut off a lb for dinner and leave the rest to cook? Any thoughts? I am starving!!!! :woohoo:
:woohoo: :woohoo:

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Firestarter21,

We won't tell if you slice a piece off,. It won't pull real good at 175 but it will still be tasty.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Barrett,

I cooked my first butt on Father's Day. I put in on at 275 for 4 hours, then doubled foiled, and back on for another 4.

I went to the pool while it was cooking. When I came back for the final 1.5 hours, the EGG was at 350 and I could not get it back down. I left it on for the full 8 hours and it was great. It probably did fine due to the fact that it was foiled.

Did you foil yours?

Greg
  • No, I didn't foil it. I thought about cutting off a chunk and foiling the rest and leave it on the grill. I have cooked a few butts now, so I am pretty familiar with how they should behave.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Cut off a little and try it.

Let the rest cook.

That way you will know.

Maybe even put a little more rub on the cut.

My 2 cents.

Greg
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    165 is the minimum for Pork Butt so eat it.

Rule of thumb 165-185 Sliced Pork 185+ Pulled. It may or may not pull well, but it will slice.

wrap it in foil and kick the temp up if you really want it pulled.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    My thoughts exactly. Kick that joker up to 350 or 375 and let her hit 195 -200. Wont take long if its at 175. My 1 1/2 cents worth. :woohoo:
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    FWIW,It sounds like it's on the backside of the plateau. You won't have to wait long now. You can boost the heat and force it to the 190F pull temp. Either way you still want some rest time. Drink some Gatorade so you don't dehydrate from salivating. It won't be long now, and the wait WILL be worth it!
  • Took a pair of tongs to one side and it fell off. Probably got about 3/4 of a lb off of it. Pulled it apart and threw it on some buns. Perfecto, that was just the prelude for tonights dinner. I will let it hit 195 and let it rest till 1, then eat another and throw it in the fridge. My meat may dry up a bit from the exposed flesh wound, but shouldn't dry out the entire butt right? Just thinking, I can throw it in foil to finish the cook, but I didn't know if it was critical.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    You will be fine!!