Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What knife brand you enjoy with green egg?

Jetskifast
Jetskifast Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After using many high end knives. Purchased complete set of Shun knives. Shun for me seems to have sharpest knife.
What choice of knives have you made?

Comments

• I use Global. I love my knives!
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Several different brands. Sharp is the key, regardless of the brand.

I invested in a Tormek sharpener and life is good -- for my friends too! LOL
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I have several Henckels Pro S knives - santoku, boning, paring.

For Father's Day this year I got two of the Ken Shun "Alton's Angle" chef's knives in 6" and 8". I agree that they have an incredible edge and hold it very well. I love them and plan to continue 'accumulating' them.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    My best knife is still an old Sabatier/Hoffritz 10" chef knife I got back in the '70s. Tho it gets almost daily use, I've managed to keep it pretty sharp, altho there are a few dings in it. I bought a Spyderco Yang last year, just to see what this fancy VG10 steel is like. I have to admit that it is a razor, but a little too light for me. What I'm looking to buy soon is a a Thos. Haslinger, but I'll need to get a better sharpening set-up.
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Ugh. Sorry guys.... Forum was non-responsive for a bit and I messed up.
  • UnConundrum
    I have a set of handmade Damascus Carters:

WarrenPrinceKnives.jpg

And a Phil Wilson that works wonders for trimming up those large chuck roasts:

P1020065.JPG
  • UnConundrum
    Sorry, duplicate post. Browser stuck....
  • gdenby
    The Wilson knives are real artworks. And others have said, like you, sharp as can be.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I dont have anything so fancy, but I do have a set of the Rachael Ray East/West knives made by Furi. Sure, go ahead and laugh, but they are really nice. Yes they have the orange handles. They came as a set, a 6" and a 9", with a nice wooden storage box. They have held a good edge for close to a year.
    Speaking of which.......can anyone reccomend how often a good knife should be proffessionaly sharpened? It is my understanding that sharpening rods really just work by straightening the edge back to somewhat of a stright line, but dont sharpen, and that a qualified individual must cut a new edge to truly sharpen it.
  • gdenby
    There was a post yesterday on the BBQ forum by a 1st time competitor who brought along his Rachael Rays'. He made ribs and gor ribbed :lol:

Do use a steel frequently. They don't sharpen, but the honing really helps the edge remain. I've watched a butcher break down a side of beef, and he honed after every major cut.

The need for sharpening depends on the steel and frequency of use. I bought a really cheap slicing knife to practice on. With a few minutes worth of work, I can get it to slice paper. But it will not hold that edge even to slice up a whole pork tenderloin. One of the butcher's I frequent sells off his used Chicago cutlery boning knives every few months, because he has sharpened them down to about half the original size. I've bought a few, and they will still last me years before they wear away.

If you are a moderate user, you may not need a pro sharpener very often. I take a diamond rod to my Sabatier every few months, just give it a couple of careful passes. Its not quite as sharp as it once was, but I can take a few slices from a tomato that are thin enough that I can read thru the slices.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    I have a full set of Henckels 5 Stars - I love the handle. As with any knife, you have to keep them sharp. I've had them for about 10 years, have them sharpened at least once a year. They don't let me down.

Fidel wrote:
    I have several Henckels Pro S knives - santoku, boning, paring.

For Father's Day this year I got two of the Ken Shun "Alton's Angle" chef's knives in 6" and 8". I agree that they have an incredible edge and hold it very well. I love them and plan to continue 'accumulating' them.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    when we first got married, we bought a crap-tastic set of knives from farberware. stamped stuff. fast-forward to when we actually started to figure out that we liked to cook, and eventually santa brought me a wusthof (what they call "classic wusthof" now) 8" chef's knife. not too pricey, and the first 'real' knife i'd had. well. that relatively inexpensive knife has served me VERY well. holds a damn decent edge, and feels great in my hand. got a few more to go with it, but realized there's no need for the fancy 20-knife set after you get a good chef's knife. i think the next step will be a good shun, but if there's anyone out there feeling bit by the the knife bug, i'd say try one of the better 80 to 90 dollar german chef's knives out there. you'll appreciate the difference, and after you learn how to use it, you'll probably really appreciate the step up to the even better knives out there.

i kinda still like my wusthofs, since there are times when i find they have been used and they are LAYING IN THE EFFING SINK! (courtesy of "helpful" guests), and i wouldn't want to risk it with the pricier stuff. but i have my eye on a shun chef's knife in the future.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    I'm using Henckels--Pro S and some Int'l ones, because I'm not the only one using them and chewing the edges up ;) Good enough for my use, as I keep an eye on the edge with steels and sharpen every now and then.
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    I've had a large set of Henkel Pros for years. They're great knives, high quality german steel, 22-1/2 degree rugged edge, and I have no business still wanting any more knives. However, my set doesn't include a 10" chefs knife. I'll probably never cut more than two carrots at a time, he he. Regardless, I got a bad itch that needs scratching. I was leaning toward Global until I spied the Shun Elite. What a beautiful knife. Maybe Christmas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    i like the japanese steels and old carbon steel knives, not a big fan of the german steels as they dont seem to hold an edge long. the carbon steel knives are real easy to sharpen and the japanese knives hold an edge along time. i like my bunmei knife best but its too difficult too sharpen for the average user, thankgod i just need to touch it up once a year as its a 3 hour project with that knife. global keeps a great edge but the handle bothers my hand and causes calluses. my carbon knives are really old,40's or 50's, got them from a butcher and i think they are lampsons but there is nothing written on them anymore, these knives need occasional sharpening but take a nice edge within a couple strokes on the stone
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    I am very satisfied with my Wusthof knives and cleaver. For sharpening/honing I use and F. **** multicut.

The F. **** Multicut Flat Sharpening Steel is knife sharpening equipment at its finest. This multicut sharpening steel has grooves with grinding effect when used with firm pressure. Hones the blade when light pressure is applied. It will hone and sharpen quickly, as the extra wide surface and grooves make this sharpener essentially seven sharpening steels in one! Made in Germany.

Mike
    Wrens, GA
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    I use an 8" Dexter/Russell Chinese chef's knife for almost everything, and a skinny 4" paring knife from the same maker for everything else.
  • UnConundrum
    If you need your knives professionally sharpened, you can't beat Dave at http://www.japaneseknifesharpening.com/ Very highly respected with Japanese steel, and very reasonable with German. You can mail your knives to him and you'll get them back sharper than when new. He also sells gear to keep your own knives sharp.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    right now i have some crappy knives, but i'm looking into getting three or four knives from Sabatier.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I use then Wusthof Grand Prix knives and I'm pretty happy with them, at least when my wife isn't bending them prying something out of a jar. :huh:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Brad,

Tell me about it. Did you know that the tip of a Global slicing knife will break when prying the lid off of a paint can? :angry:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Smokin Tiger
    Smokin Tiger Posts: 352
    I have had a set of Kershaw Shun knives for a few years and have been very happy with them.

TC
  • Big Easy Egg
    Big Easy Egg Posts: 191
    I use a set from Mundail, Oliver Anquier series. They are commercial knives and hold a great edge. The only issue is the help sometimes wants to put the wooden handles in the dishwasher. I also use a filet knife by Cutco with the adjustable blade.We do alot of saltwater fishing and it is about 10 years old and looks like new and holds a sharp edge.

Jimmy
    Come visit NOLA
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    i have the complete set of whustof classic [a gift] takes a nice edge and i still steel them occasionally but have moved on to waterstones for sharpening and honing. nice work horse knives
    i have 1 shun chefs knife, beautiful and sharp but beware these knives are brittle. it is kept in its original presetaion box. shuns website has all sorts of info about steel
    i have 2 shun 'wasabi' knives. the japanese style veg. knife sharpens ok the western style chefs it is hard to sharpen. the edges are very brittle and always have little nicks. these are a powdered steel [i think] and i would not by another.
    recently got some 'rustic' hand made japanese knifes or either white or blue steel they are so #^*&^ sharp it is scary and adult beverage consumption does not mix well with these knives [well maybe a bloody mary {or bill}:whistle:]
    if you want to learn all about knives start

here click buy the book takes you to amazon.com

chad wrote this too

i have other links for sharpening stones and japanese knives if any one is interested
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    The worst part is that doing so makes the knife almost completely useless for plunging into the chest of the person who did said prying. :evil:

My wavy blade is the 3-1/2" paring knife...I forget what the urgent need for a prybar was.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    We have the full set of Wustof classics also. I Love them. I put one in the dish washer by mistake and Neil about had heart failure! This is the same man who thought any of my knifes were for cutting wire or opening cans too. LOL he bought those for me for Christmas last year and had changed his tune. for years we always planned on buying 1 good knife for anniversary and birthdays and such and just never did it, last fall he noted that if we had we would have had the whole set by now, 27 years. I was blown away when he got them for Christmas. :) good guy :) Julie
  • I have a set of Shun Ken Onion's on my wedding registry if anyone is feeling generous ;)
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    There's only one choice... Cutco.
  • Q-rious Tom
    Q-rious Tom Posts: 116
    And you can break part of the edge off a Wusthof slicing knife using it as an ice pick. :blush:

Tom