Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled the trigger Friday... New Large BGE!

Options
snoqualmiesmoker
snoqualmiesmoker Posts: 265
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I debated getting an egg. I had talked myself out and back in, then out daily of why an egg. I had looked at every brand, saw all the forums, met lots of great people. More so then the grills, its the folks in these forums, not just here, who will just answer the same questions over and over again, with a smile, who won me over. Whatever product they bought, they loved spreading the word on ceramic.

But the cost to enter is big. No matter which brand, this is not a cheap purchase. So i hunted. Ebay. Craigslist. Nothing here. Everyone else seems to find these great deals. Not in the NW.

So I researched. On and on. Drove the wife crazy. Got a flier in mail about a Spa liquidation going on in a city about 30 miles away. I called to see if they had eggs. I told yep. I told myself if the deal was good, I would get the egg. I wanted the Large size. Another brand had a one that fit my budget. Smaller, but I had a budget. So Friday, I packed the kids up on Friday and hit them when they opened. I saw the eggs, asked the guy what the cost was, he told me. I asked what was included, he said the Egg and the nest, and I said "Sold"! Oh Happy Day!
I had got my egg for under budget and with an nest! They packed it up and off we went. I began calling around looking for a platesetter. Found one near my house. Picked it up. Headed home. Then the wait. I had to wait several hours to get help moving the thing.
We got it together and I realized, I had no fuel. I forgot to buy lump.
So the Saturday I hit the Butcher for some BB Ribs, and bought some Lump and an ash scraper. Saturday night I prepped the ribs, and Sunday at 2:00 I lit the egg. And wow. What an easy unit to control. Even for a newbie, it was painless. After about an hour of fuss, it was easy to get it to hold 250 Dome for hours. No fuss. It was a bit boring. I was elated! No more watching the pit to see if it fluctuated. I followed the 3-2-1 method for set up, apple juice in the drip pan, but decided no foil. In the end, my wife told me those were the best ribs I have ever cooked. I even gor a smoke ring. MY FIRST! And there was 3/4 a load of lump left. Wow.
And tonight we cooked a pizza, but I kept it at 325 dome so the gasket can set.
I even ordered the Spider today. I hope to get a controller soon for a long cook I have planned.

I want to thank everyone on the board, especially the Whiz, who has one of the best ceramic sites on the web, for answering my questions.

I started a blog to chronicle my journey. Check it out if you want. Its in the signature.
JB

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Sounds like you are off to a fast start. Since you are apparently into grill toys, I recommend the WOO2, along with the spider (and the aluminum pan).

I now cook everything but steak on the raised grate (level of the opening). I guarantee you will love it.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I have only one thing to say!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!

Welcome to the cult er family!!

Ohh look I have a blog too :woohoo:
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    JB,

Congratulations on your new addition! I'll put money down that you'll be generating lots more smoke than your neighbor :) Great blog--I enjoyed reading about your adventure, and I see that you already have a little helper there!

The Rudy's rub works really well on brisket. For ribs and pork butts, I'd recommend some Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust or Raging River, and you might also try some John Henry Pecan Rub, too--those are the main rubs I use on pork.

Hmm...let's see...what else? Cast iron grate, adjustable rig & spider, DigiQ II, MAPP gas torch, thermapen. I started adding accessories the more I saw and read how people were getting things done, and have conducted numerous "experiments" cooking on the egg.

Enjoy!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    LOL welcome and post pictures and ask anything you need help with on here and someone will give a yell back. So when do you start shopping for the next one :silly: they are much happier in pairs and then when you have a couple they will need a baby. they seam to run in flocks! Julie
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Snoqual,

Welcome aboard! I too am an offset convert and dig the egg. If you are in Seattle, how do you get Rudy's rub? Cool blog too, nice touch remembering your dad - great "dad pic" of the two of you!
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    congrats!

where online can you order eggcessories?
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Great story!!

Welcome on board! You should have a lifetime of great cooks in your fruture! Please post pictures!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hey Snoqualmie,

It sounds like you have a similar situation as I do. I live in the Seattle area as well and I have been going through the "great debate" and was curious if you could point me to the place you found your egg. Like you, I'm hunting for a better deal on an egg and have been striking out so far.

Any help woudl be hugely appreciated
  • Mariner Mike
    Options
    Snoqualmiesmoker,

Congrats on finding a good deal.

I had never heard of a BGE when I found my first one on Craigslist. I was looking for a smoker, so I bought it. I got the large egg for $450 with a table. A couple of years later I scored again and found another large egg on Craigslist for $250. I've never regretted either purchase for a second.

I'm still searching for a steal on a small or mini.

Are you going to the Evergreen Eggfest? I'm looking forward to my first.
  • ewillie
    ewillie Posts: 155
    Options
    Wow, I got my Large BGE Sunday, ours are days apart in terms of ownership.

I too, am very impressed with the group here and the great info on NakedWhiz.

Cheers, and I hope you enjoy it. Erik
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    My wife calls it the gift that keeps on giving.

With a platesetter, CI, orkas, raised grid, MAPP torch, DO, pizza stone, thermapen, table, rubs, etc...

Then you buy another EGG.

WELCOME.

Greg
  • CaptGrumpy
    CaptGrumpy Posts: 58
    Options
    You have to admit it was the Bretheren that drove you mad and made you finally give in to the Egghead lifestyle! :evil:
    Was it RTD or me that drove the final nail in the coffin of your old BBQ ways? :whistle:
    Congrats from a Bretheren Egghead! :woohoo:
  • run4jc
    run4jc Posts: 107
    Options
    Jimmy - congratulations! I, too, was seduced by the 'call of the Egg.' The Forum was a huge help - as was the Naked Whiz site. My first cook - 3 pork butts - was amazing. I've cooked more on my egg in 3 weeks than I cooked on my Weber in years, and it all turns out great. Just got a DigiQ and I'm looking forward to using it this 4th weekend.
    I've blogged my running but never my egging - you had a great idea! Forgive me if I copy you!
    Welcome to the Egg community, and congratulations! Great Blog, too!