Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spider Question

snoqualmiesmoker
snoqualmiesmoker Posts: 265
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know the spider fits the medium cast iron grill, but, and this my be a dumb question, what type pizza stone does it use?

I assume Medium, but I dont mess up!

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    If you want the pizza stone down on the spider, not sure why, but get the same size as the medium grid.

If you want a stone to cook pizza then it might be wise to get the same size as the large grid. Invert the plate setter, BGE grid then pizza stone. Or adjustable rig, grid & pizza stone.

Yesterday or the day before someone said they got a small cast iron grid to use on the spider in the large. I would rather sear down on the spider than at normal level.

Probably should ask what are you trying to accomplish.

GG
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Be careful. According to the EggAccessories web page below the medium cast iron grate does not fit the '08 Spider that fits the new Large egg.

LINK
  • I read many folks put a pizza stone on the spider, instead of using platesetter. This would then allow for consistent "ring" around the pizza stone for smoke and heat to pass.

I measured it up, per his instructions.
  • Dale
    Dale Posts: 41
    don't cook pizza that low,
    for a large BGE egg, 14 in stone. Put high up in the dome as you can, indirect. I went through a few gaskets using a 16 in :(
  • Rob N
    Rob N Posts: 4
    I have put my 14" pizza stone down on the spider for indirect cooks but I found it got the stone too messy ... now I use a round drip pan instead lined with foil ... much better. My egg is the 07 version with a thinner fire ring. The 08 has a thicker one.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Tom sells a 14" drip pan that is perfect for the spider on the large. Thats the smaller one at the top of the pic. The larger one is 16" and makes for a great tray but haven't cooked with it.
    100_1815.jpg
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    "but haven't cooked with it"

Well, that's obvious! Looks clean enough for surgery! Get some grease on those puppies! :lol:
  • FlaPoolman
    LOL,,, Lots of use here. This is the spider and tray today and they have been washed several times. They are not rookies anymore.

101_2098.jpg
  • Fireball II
    Fireball II Posts: 213
    Thanks for the link for the spider and woo2
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I prefer to use BGE's 14 inch stone on the Spider. The 14 inch stone will fit both the original and 2008 Spider. Likewise, BGE's 12 inch stone fits both Spiders too.

The only real reason to use a stone on the spider is with multi-grid cooks. For one grid cooks, it is easiest to use the Rig's lowest bracket setting, level 1.5, to hold your indirect piece. The indirect piece can be a stone, pan, or stone/pan combo. I'm lazy and usually use a pan. I like this set-up as it provides good spacing between the lump, indirect piece and grid. Plus, it provides easy access to the lump.

BGE's medium cast iron grid, 15CI, will only fit the original Spider. BGE's small cast iron grid, 13CI, will fit both Spiders.

Now that it's as clear as mud, I'm heading to the frig for a beer. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • FlaPoolman
    Could you grab me one while your up :):whistle:
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Kent,

That was me...I actually bought the cast iron to use on the SBGE, but I wanted to try TRex-ing a steak way down there in the spider:

IMG_1406.jpg

Works like a champ! I gotta get this reply thing right...it was not in the right place :(
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    sure will, frosted mug too?
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.