Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table top thoughts

Options
Firestarter21
Firestarter21 Posts: 309
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know a similar post was posted last week, but......
We remodeled our kitchen when we moved into this house over two years ago and we have a extra piece of Formica sitting in the basement. I believe it measures 70" 's and is rounded on both sides, we only needed a short amount for a short bar common for the living room and kitchen. Anyways, someone asked if others thought it was ok to use, I typed up my lengthy response and got a stupid error and lost the long response, so anyhow this is what I was told/thinking.
It is possible to coat the bottom side of the countertop, with Killz oil based several coats. The bottom side is the mdf material and all you should have to worry about. So, coating it with the kills, then putting an epoxy(??? I was recommended this, don't know what expoxy to use???) probably 2 or 3 coats of this as well. I understand I am going to surpass my original investment in a tile top or other choices, but I hate to have a piece of counter in our garages that will probably never get used. So, does this sound like something that will work, worst that happens is I rip off the top and go with a second option, but I figured I would get yalls advice. I am in the Atlanta area, so humidity is a bit of an issue here. Also the table would stay covered and would get an occasional shower when the egg is used, which I hope to have a hole in the table for a large umbrella to be inserted in the case of a storm and a planned cook. I am planning on buying all my lumber next weekend for the table, so I thought I would get some advice from the gang and go from there.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey Barrett,I would spend the bucks and tile it.My opinion is that you will spend more trying to make the formica weatherproof,than it is worth.Epoxy sealers are expensive,as is fiberglass resin.You would also have to seal the edges and around the egg hole.I think that you would be better off spending the cash on tile ;) You can also do just a small section of tile like I did. ;)
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    See if you have any scrap laying around and set it outside; within a week you'll find that formica would be the last choice. You'll be better off with some other type of material. Try craigs list and see if you can come up with some granite(?) or tile scrap. You'll be happier in the long run, probley the short run too.
  • SmokeRing
    SmokeRing Posts: 32
    Options
    Something to consider about the umbrella is a good storm with high winds may turn your table over. It happens to my neighbors patio table pretty regular when they forget to take it down. Of course they don't have a BGE, but their table is heavy. Not sure what you have in mind, just something to think about.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Barrett,

Build a workbench with the counter and build a table from wood.

my 2 cents.

Greg
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Greg,
    I think I know where I know you from. I think we sat next to each other in Dang's differential equations class the summer of '06, an evening class. I might be crazy, but I think that was you. Did you take that class that summer?
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    I would be concerned about the bottom of the MDF getting too much heat from the egg. Treating it might make that worse instead of better. See this site for some good info to consider before building your table.
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    Firestarter21 wrote:
    differential equations
    That still makes me shudder!
    btw - like the Floyd avatar
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Me too :laugh: , I got through it though without a lot of effort, so it went better than I expected. And thanks for the Avatar compliment.
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Me too :laugh: , I got through it though without a lot of effort, so it went better than I expected. And thanks for the Avatar compliment.