Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rasberry kissed Pork

Options
Elder Ward
Elder Ward Posts: 330
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Guys And Gals,[p]It has been awhile. There are so many experts here that I don't feel the need to add my 2 cents worth on most issues. Tonight I wish to submit a recipe that I have been working on for quite a while and I am at last happy with the results.[p]RASBERRY KISSED PORK.[p]Any cut of pork would work but I like a thick Chop cut out of the tender loin that is about 3 to 4 inches thick. Those of you that like your porked cooked to death are on your own. I cooked this until the inside liquid runs clear but no more. I did not use a temperature gage so can not give those that are annal the exact temperature. That lets everyone choose what is best for them.

This I do in the container the meat is sold in minus the absorbtion pad. Pat the meat dry and coat the following dry ingrediates on all sides (Thick or thin is up to you I did medium) evenly: [p]Sage (Finely ground)
Cayenne Pepper (finely ground)
Kosher Salt (coarse)
Paprika
Black Pepper (Table Gind (course))[p]Let the meat sit at room temperature while you fire up you cooker. I use an Egg, but what ever. Heat should be hot enough to lay your hand on the ceramic dome when closed for about 20 seconds before it becomes uncomfortable. (About 375-400 degrees. [p]While Egg is coming to temperature pour Rasberry Vinaigrette around but not on top of meat. This allows the meat to absorb the dry ingrediates. Every five minutes turn the meat on a different side until all sides are lightly coated. [p]By now the Egg should be to temperature so put the meat on and rotate it every 9 minutes until all sides are browned. When the meat reaches the internal temperature that you like pour the excess Rasberry Vinaigrette and spices from the carton it was soaking in on top of the Chop and close lid until final temperature is reached or at least another 10 minutes. [p]When done remove from heat an let set for 15 minutes more then cut and serve just before eating. [p]The brand of Rasberry Vinaigrette I used was Marie's purchased from Albertson's in the premixed and bagged salad display in the vegetable or fresh produce section. [p]This is a dish to die for. I served mine with Pine Nut flavored Couscouse. With a side dish of Chinese Snow Peas lightly steamed with a dash of Cayenne pepper for color and flavor. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did and all the best to my old friends and those of you that I have not met. [p]If you got em Smoke em,[p]Elder Ward[p][p]

Comments

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    Elder Ward,[p]Yum. I am printing this out now.[p]Welcome back![p]- Mike

• Elder Ward,
    Let me be the first to say that is a pleasure to once again be in the presence of Elder Ward. Your absense from this forum has been noted and and noticed. Welcome back friend. Stick around please.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Elder Ward,
    He comes bearing recipes! I am with the others. Always good to see you 'round, my friend.[p]Hope life is good with you. Sounds like it.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Elder Ward:[p]I have raspberries in the garden and pork in the freezer . . . Thanks for the recipe! Good to see you around again!
    [/b]
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Elder Ward,
    Man... do you know how to whet a person's appetite!!! Keep those kinds of recipes coming.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Elder Ward
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,[p]good mornig be sure to check the part I missed.

Thanks
    Elder Ward

• Elder Ward
    Options
    Seth Howard,
    You are kind and I thank you. Like a Old Uncle I am never very far away just not going to be in the way.
    Elder Ward

• Elder Ward
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    God has layed his hands on me and I love the life he has given me to live. It is not always fun. But life is about over coming preceived problems and how we emotional share our experiances with other. [p]I have always valued your friendship and hope those daughters and your wife are all well. [p]Elder Ward

• Elder Ward
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Yes that may work also, but there is a flavor and a caramelizing effect using this salad dressing that you may want to try once. If you can duplicate it or improve the flavor from raw components PlEEEEEEEase let me know. I would want to put your method in my recipe to eliminate having to use store bought items. [p]There are only two things in this old world money can't buy. True love and home grown tomatoes. ;)[p]Elder Ward[p]

• Elder Ward
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]Where is Spring Texas? Thanks, You do the same.[p]Elder Ward
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Elder Ward:[p]I am flattered that you would think of me as that creative! I see using your recipe and adding a bit of fresh, crushed raspberries to the mix. Could some of the excess raspberry vinaigrette marinate be heated (with some additional berries) and used as a sauce? What do you think?
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Elder Ward,
    16 miles from downtown Houston north on I-45 toward Dallas. It used to be home to one of the Goodyear Blimps. It is now home to at least one large Big Green Egg that smells a lot better than the blimp.[p]Thanks for asking.[p]Spring Chicken

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Elder Ward,
    ...and the strength we gain when things don't go as planned![p]Thanks Carl. When I read your recipe, it had "Elder Ward" written all over it...with your favorite ingedients including sage...but something was missing. I wondered, after reading the recipe, "did Elder leave out the cumin??" I see that you did. Some of us prolly know you better than you think![p]As always good to see your name on this board.
    Hugs to that sweet family of yours.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Elder Ward
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Yeah sure. But this dressing which I originally bought to use on salad was so good that I could have eaten it out of the bottle. Since you bring it up, another idea could be to drissel some on the plate straight from the bottle and sprinkle whole berries over it and the pork to get a Emirly type display. BAM.
    Elder Ward

• Elder Ward,[p]Sounds yummy, I was just thinking this morning, what am I going to get Qbabe to do with the pork chops in the freezer?
  • Elder Ward
    Options
    qbabe's husband,
    If you do it let me know what you think.
    Elder Ward

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Elder Ward,
    While we haven't met, you've joined us for dinner many times with your fabulous pulled pork recipe. I'm looking forward to trying this one soon. Thank you

• Elder Ward
    Options
    Gandolf,
    Consider us introduced and the pleasure is all mine. I hope your family has given you the thanks. A recipe is only as good as the chef that exicutes it.
    Elder Ward

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    pork-butt-after.jpg
    <p />Elder Ward,[p]Like Gandolf, I am another who hasn't had the pleasure of meeting you yet, but just this weekend did my first low and slow cook of pulled pork using your instructions and recipe. We enjoyed it thoroughly! Can't wait to try this one.... [p]QBabe
    :-)[p]BTW, Mamaw's German Potatoe Salad is the best potatoe salad I've ever had, bar none...and interestingly, we called my grandmother Mamaw also (though spelled it differently)!

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Elder Ward,[p]If you do choose to use the term 'execute' in regards to cooking, it might be a good idea to refrain from saying it in front of the guests. :~)[p]Very good to see you back and large cold beers to you on another scorcher day![p]WD

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Elder Ward,
    Nice to hear from you.
    Drop me an email, please.
    RhumAndJerk

• Elder Ward
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Point well taken couseler. Thanks and glad to hear from you.
    Elder Ward

• Elder Ward
    Options
    QBabe,
    Madame, I am flattered (sp?). Speaking of which I was and am a math major so if I happen to spell something right or is that correctly? I usually get a swooled up head. :) Well I am so glad you enjoy the fruits of your labor and am humbled to have played a small part. Yeah when Mamaw died I was never able to be at ease at funnerals again.
    Elder Ward

• Elder Ward
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Ok I will. Good to hear from you also.
    Elder Ward

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Elder Ward,[p]My Mamaw (somehow it turned into Mamolie, when we were little, go figure!) died only two years ago, and rather than a funeral, we all went out to dinner and had a party...a celebration of her life, rather than a mourning of her death. It was rather refreshing that way... [p]Thanks for inspiring me! I hope you don't mind, but PuppyBreath asked me for the potato salad recipe, so I passed it along...[p]Warmest regards,
    QBabe
    :-)

• QBabe,
    could that be a Southern kind of thing? Momma Kat called her grandmother Mamaw and grandfather PaPaw.

• Elder Ward
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Sounds like the best way go. Celebrating your passing. I started to send him the recipe myself but he asked you so I minded my own business. That is what they are here for is to share. [p]See around,
    Elder Ward

• Elder Ward
    Options
    kat,[p]Is that the NY BBQ Queen, KAT? Yeah I think it is but even so it seems to be in isolated pockets down South.[p]Elder Ward[p]
  • Elder Ward, nope I'm not Cat I'm kat or short for one feral kat ^oo^~
  • Elder Ward
    Options
    kat,
    Well I put my FEET in my mouth all the time. My most sincere apoligies. Please take no offense and I should have noticed the difference in spelling.
    Elder Ward