Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Elder Ward ... the sauce, the beans, the rice

Options
abundell
abundell Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am egging a brisket as I write this. I am following the Elder Ward method. I managed to find the recipe for the brisket which references the sauce, Tanker Tim beans, and Japanese rice, but for the life of me... and after trying to google and search the forum every which-way, I can't find those recipes. Anyone have a link or a copy? Thanks.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Beans, Baked, Canned, BGE, Tanker Tim

Using EWPPR I stumbled onto the best Baked Beans I've ever eaten, give them a try you won't be disappointed!

INGREDIENTS:
    1 lb Thick Bacon
    1 Yellow Onion (medium)
    2 31 Ozs. Can Pork and Beans
    Molases
    Brown Sugar
    Ketchup
    Mustard
    EWPPR (Elder Ward's Pulled Pork Rub)

Instructions:
    1 Fry the bacon then cut it up into 2" pieces,
    2 dice the onion,
    3 saute the onion in some of the bacon grease until it is burned alittle,
    4 pour the beans into a BIG bowl,
    5 add the bacon and onions to the beans,
    6 a couple of spoons of molases and brown sugar (2 or 3 or until it smells good to you)
    7 squirt some ketchup and mustard in (again until it suits you)
    8 Last but not least add EWPPR until your beans start to smell like chili instead of beans.
    9 Take half of the final mix, put it in a bread pan cover it with foil but leave the sides open so the smoke can get in, throw a couple chunks of hickory on the EGG and let it go for a couple of hours at 225

Recipe Type
    Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Tanker Tim Email: tim_garland@yahoo.com

Source: BGE Forum, Tanker Tim, 2005/03/02

Be sure to burn the onion slighltly
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Sauce, BBQ, Elder Ward's World Class Brisket, Tanker Tim;s Beans W/Elder Twist

Lots of Love.! Sauce for Elder Wards World Class Brisket. Tanker Tim's Beans with an Elder twist.)

Procedure:
    1 1 pound bacon cut into thirds.
    2 Larger cast iron skillet,cook bacon until golden brown. Remove and drain bacon, then chop into bite size peices.
    3 brown onions chopped fine and 6 cloves garlic smashed.
    4 Brown onions and garlic until transparent in the bacon grease. Remove and drain onions and garlic, discard the grease.
    5 Replace onions and garlic and bacon back into pan then add the following ingrediants. Bring them to a boil. Stir with wooden spoon until well incorperated.
    6 Cups ketchup heinz, 2 Cups water, ½ Cup apple cider vinegar, 4 tablespoons raw sugar, 4 tablespoons unsulphured molasses, 4 tablespoons Coleman's English double fine mustard (dry), 1 teaspon cayenne pepper fine gound.
    7 Add the ½ cup of the dry rub for the briskett you reseved. Cook slowly reducing liquid by 1/3 .
    8 Pour and strain half of the sauce into glass containers and use for the sauce.
    9 The other half is for Tanker Tim's Beans, add (2) 31 oz cans of generic pork N beans to the other half of the sauce in the skillet and place inside BGE checking it every 20 minutes until it turns into semi solid. Serve it immediately.

Recipe Type
    Sauce

Recipe Source
    Author: Elder Ward Email: elderward@hotmail.com

Source: BGE Forum, Elder Ward, 2005/03/02

If you got em smoke em,

Carl D.Ward, Jr. AKA Elder Ward
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    here is the beans::

Beans, Baked, Canned, World Class Brisket, Sauce & Beans, Elder Ward

Lots of Love.! Sauce for Elder Wards World Class Brisket. Tanker Tim's Beans with an Elder twist.)

1 pound bacon cut into thirds.
    2 Larger cast iron skillet,cook bacon until golden brown. Remove and drain bacon, then chop into bite size peices.
    3 brown onions chopped fine and 6 cloves garlic smashed.
    4 Brown onions and garlic until transparent in the bacon grease. Remove and drain onions and garlic, discard the grease.
    5 Replace onions and garlic and bacon back into pan then add the following ingrediants. Bring them to a boil. Stir with wooden spoon until well incorperated.
    6 Cups ketchup heinz, 2 Cups water, ½ Cup apple cider vinegar, 4 tablespoons raw sugar, 4 tablespoons unsulphured molasses, 4 tablespoons Coleman's English double fine mustard (dry), 1 teaspon cayenne pepper fine gound.
    7 Add the ½ cup of the dry rub for the briskett you reseved. Cook slowly reducing liquid by 1/3 ..
    8 Pour and strain half of the sauce into glass containers and use for the sauce.
    9 The other half is for Tanker Tim's Beans, add (2) 31 oz cans of generic pork N beans to the other half of the sauce in the skillet and place inside BGE checking it every 20 minutes until it turns into semi solid. Serve it immediately.

Recipe Type
    Dutch Oven, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Elder Ward Email: elderward@hotmail.com

Source: BGE Forum, Elder Ward, 03/02/05

If you got em smoke em,

Carl D.Ward, Jr. AKA Elder Ward

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    beat me by 8 seconds ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Richard Fl
    Options
    Rice, Japanese, How To Cook

Japanese rice is medium-grained and is known as sticky rice. Learn how to cook Japanese rice properly.

INGREDIENTS:
    What You Need:
    2 cups Japanese-style rice
    2 1/2 cups water
    Pan/Rice Cooker

Procedure:
    1 Put the rice in a bowl and wash with cold water.
    2 Repeat washing until the water becomes clear.
    3 Drain the rice in a colander and set aside.
    4 Place the rice in a pan or rice cooker and add water.
    5 Use just enough water to cover the rice -- don't fill the entire pot.
    6 Let the rice soak in the water at least 30 min. One hour is ideal.
    7 If you are cooking the rice in a pan, cover the pan with a lid and bring to a boil over high heat.
    8 Once the water boils, turn the heat down very low and cook about 15-20 min. until the water is almost gone.
    9 Remove the pan from the heat and let it steam for 10-15 minutes before serving.
    10 Tips:
    11 If you are using an electric rice cooker, you don't have to worry about adjusting the heat. You still need to let the cooked rice steam before you open the lid.
    12 Japanese rice gets sticky when it is cooked. The long-grained American rice isn't proper for Japanese cooking, because it is drier and doesn't stick together well.

Recipe Type
    Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Setsuko Yoshizuka,

Source: Setsuko Yoshizuka, 1006/10/04
  • abundell
    abundell Posts: 62
    Options
    Appreciate the recipes.

We definitely have the rice thang down. For what it's worth, we bought a Zojirushi rice cooker (NS-PC18) years ago and it cranks out flawless rice every time with one button. We use many varieties of rice including Japanese (I make homemade sushi), and it works for them all.