Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Potatoes - need quick help

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The A/C just went out, trying to keep as cool as possible. I'm cooking outside tonight. How do I do baked potatoes?

Comments

• EdF
    EdF Posts: 42
    Kelvin,[p]I just go by whatever else I'm cooking as the determining temp. If I'm doing slow cook, say 200-225, I'll put them in for the last 1-1/2 to 2 hours. For something at 300-350, about an hour and flip in the middle. Wouldn't want the temp too much higher than that. Just want to get them nice and soft. I usually poke them a few times with a fork before putting them in.[p]- Ed
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Kelvin,
    Jeez, if that were the case here in Tampa, I would just set them on my coffee table for an hour or so.
    Throw them on the fire as it's heating up, wrapped in foil. Turn them a couple times. If your main course is quick, let the tatters go for a while before throwing it on.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Ed F,
    I dislike foiled baked potatoes, there are actually "steamed" and not baked. I like to make a small boat from foil, leaving the top half exposed to the heat for each potato and flip them over in the boat about half way through the bake...if in the 300+ range I find just over an hour ususally will suffice..you can always check for doneness with a skewer...nde

• EdF
    EdF Posts: 42
    Strmn2Smoke,[p]Yeah, I don't like them done in foil either - which is why I didn't say to do them that way ;-)[p]Beers,[p]- Ed
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Norman:[p]Next time try skipping the foil and cook them direct, just avoid the hot spot. Brush with olive oil, season with your favorite rub (I like Obie-Cue's Gatorbreath), and cook as you normally do turning a time or two. Just consider it cross-dressing . . .
  • Kelvin,
    Have to agree with DJM5x9 below. I use a pizza stone to do indirect and vary from seasoned pepper to nothing. First cooked them this way 4 months ago - the wife won't let me cook them any other way. Just a hint of smoke - tasty indeed.[p]$.05 worth.[p]LVM

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Kelvin,
    This isn't timely, but, I took a brinkman wire rib rack and cut it in half. Then I cut off the tops leaving basically a bed of nails. Olive oil and kosher salt then impale on the "nails" and cook hot with some kind of a heat shield. I use 2 firebricks and cook at around 500 degrees. They only take about 30-45 minutes and they taste like the kind you used to bury in campfires. Very good stuff.
    Chuck

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    djm5x9,[p]MMMmmmmm. Olive oiled, direct baked potatoes on the Egg. MMMMmmmm. Cooked at about 350. MMMmmmm.[p]--sdb[p](Best read outloud with Homer Simpon impersonation.)