Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb Marinade/Sauce

dublin
dublin Posts: 140
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone here ever eaten at the Outback Steakout??? If so, did you ever order the Rack Of Lamb.
I had this the other week and the sauce escapes me, but it was wonderful, Does anyone know what the sauce is and how to make it???
Lamb on the egg is my favorite at the moment.[p]Thx[p]Dublin

Comments

• Dublin, from: http://www.copykat.com/asp/morecopykats.asp[p]Outback Steakhouse Style Dipping Sauce I[p]
    Notes:
    This is the original that has been posted on this site.[p]Ingredients:
    1 pint Mayonnaise ** ?? I think that is 2 cups **
    1 pint Sour cream
    1/2 C. Tomato chili sauce
    1/2 tsp. Cayenne pepper [p]
    Preparation:
    Combine and mix well. [p]

Outback Steakhouse Tiger Dill Sauce[p]
    Notes:
    This is the great stuff they serve with your steak. I have always enjoyed this easy to make sauce, as something different for your normal steak at home.[p]Ingredients:
    2/3 C. Sour Cream
    1/4 C. Mayonnaise
    3 tsp. Prepared Horseradish
    3/4 tsp. Sugar
    1/4 tsp Dill Weed[p]
    Preparation:
    Blend all together and serve with any beef dish. This is better if let to set overnight.
    [ul][li]Copykat [/ul]
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Dublin,[p]Try this....[p]Outback Steakhouse Cabernet Lamb Sauce

1-1/3 cups of cabernet (do not use anything else)
    1/4 cup of butter
    2-1/2 tablespoons of flour
    1/4 cup of fresh parsley
    6 cups of Au ju sauce (kind of beef broth)
    2 tablespoons of lamb seasoning*
    1 tablespoon of garlic powder
    *Lamb Seasoning: black pepper, minced fresh garlic, kosher salt, olive oil and rosemary. Some recipes use mint instead of rosemary. [p]In 1 bowl mix 1/3 cup of wine with flour, set aside put remaining wine, broth, parsley, lamb seasoning and garlic powder in sauce pan . Bring to a GENTLE boil, then turn heat down and reduce about 4-5 minutes. Stir in flour mixture. While you are reducing liquid, brown butter in another pan (DON'T JUST MELT BUTTER BROWN IT, DO NOT BURN ) when you have finished reducing, add butter. Mix well. By this time your sauce should have a semi thick look to it. When you are finished cooking this you should have 7 cups. [p]Now, if you would like the winning recipe from the 2001 National Lamb Championships, let me know![p]Stogie

• dublin
    dublin Posts: 140
    Stogie,
    Now, if you would like the winning recipe from the 2001 National Lamb Championships, let me know![p]
    Ab-so-loot-ley
    Dublin[p]And thanks, you just made my weekend

• JodyMo
    JodyMo Posts: 46
    Stogie,
    After making another round of Stogie's jerky this weekend, which turned out awesome, I would like to see this championship lamb recipe for my first EVER attempt at cooking lamb. As far as this tasty looking recipe that you posted, would canned beef broth substitute OK for Au Jus?
    Thanks
    JodyMo

• Stogie
    Hi JodyMo![p]That will work OK, but if you want more beefy flavor, look around for some beef base. This is a concentrate and is what many of the restaurants use to make their various stocks. It is paste-like in texture and is extrememly concentrated.....1 tsp. makes 1 cup of broth. [p]It will last forever if refrigerated. Most of the larger supermarkets carry it and all the restaurant supply stores carry it. It is all I use for my stock making and is VERY good stuff.[p]Stogie

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Stogie,
    Now, if you would like the winning recipe from the 2001 National Lamb Championships, let me know![p]Sure would like to see that recipe if possible.
    TIA
    New Bob

• Stogie
    Dublin,[p]Here is the recipe that Chef Paul Kirk, The Baron of BBQ, used to win the 2000 National Lamb BBQ Cook-off Championship. It is a bit involved but well worth the effort. When reading, keep in mind that you can use any of the cuts of lamb he mentions. You don't use ALL of them.[p]Also, he is a little lax on times and temps....I would suggest somewhere between 225-275º pit temps and an internal temp of 145-150º. He posted this last year on another food board so I assume it is OK to post here.
    ____________________________________________________________[p]Chef Paul’s 1st Place National Lamb Contest Recipe [p]BARBECUED LAMB [p]1 leg of lamb (7 to 9 pounds) or
    2 racks of lamb trimmed or
    6 to 8 lamb chops or steaks
    Lamb Seasoning(below)
    Raspberry Mint Barbecue Sauce and Glaze(below)

LAMB SEASONING

1/4 cup dried brown sugar
    2 tablespoons garlic salt
    2 tablespoons onion salt
    2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
    2 tablespoon lemon pepper
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon cayenne
    1/2-teaspoon oregano leaves
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/4 teaspoon whole celery seed

Combine the sugar, garlic salt, onion salt, paprika, pepper, chili powder, cayenne, oregano, ginger, coriander, and celery seeds in a bowl and mix well. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place.[p]
    RASPBERRY GINGER BARBECUE SAUCE [p]2 cups ketchup
    3 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
    4-clove garlic pressed
    1 1/2 cups Melba sauce (raspberry sauce)
    1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
    1/4 cup clover honey
    1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
    2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or other orange flavored liquor
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon orange zest
    2 scallions, chopped
    2 teaspoons ground chipotle pepper
    1 teaspoon ground allspice
    1 teaspoon sea salt

Combine the ketchup, ginger, garlic, Melba sauce, sugar, honey, orange juice, Triple Sec, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, zest, scallions, chipotle, allspice, salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Strain and remove the scallions.
    Yield about 5 cups. [p]RASPBERRY MINT BARBECUE SAUCE AND GLAZE[p]3 cups raspberry ginger barbecue sauce
    1 1/2 cups mint jelly

Combine the raspberry barbecue sauce and the mint jelly in a saucepan and heat, stirring until melted and blended. About 10 minutes. Don't let the sauce boil. Use as a glaze and as a sauce.
    Yield about 4 1/2 cups. [p]Which ever cut of lamb that you wish to use, trim as desired. Season the meat on all sides and barbecue, grill or smoke. Remember when direct grilling and using this seasoning to turn the meat often so it doesn't caramelize. [p]
    Another seasoning combination that is good with lamb is.....

2 tablespoons lemon pepper
    1 tablespoon granulated garlic
    2 teaspoons dried rosemary or basil leaves, crushed

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Stogie,
    Many thanks and a great big brew for ya. ÜÜÜ
    New Bob

• JodyMo
    JodyMo Posts: 46
    Stogie,
    Alright!