Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deckel On?

Options
02Roush2
02Roush2 Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, I just bought a 10 Lb whole brisket at Kroger that says "deckel on". I did a search here but couldn't find what that means. I have only cooked 2 small flats on the BGE and this is my first attempt at a whole one. Can you tell me what "deckel on" means? I am assuming it has something to do with the fat layer but I am certainly not sure!

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    The deckle is a meat cutters term for some of the real hard fat and some connecting tissue that is found on the inside face of the brisket (the side opposite the fat cap). It is removed during the butchering process.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • 02Roush2
    Options
    thirdeye wrote:
    The deckle is a meat cutters term for some of the real hard fat and some connecting tissue that is found on the inside face of the brisket (the side opposite the fat cap). It is removed during the butchering process.

I see. Thanks for the explanation! Would you suggest I take it back up there in the morning and have them remove it or is it okay to leave it on? Thanks again!
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Sorry, I read your question too fast. Normally the label will read "Deckle Off". I suppose it could be a mistake, but let me dig through my pictures and maybe I can find a good one to post.

If it does in fact need some trimming, that is a task you can do at home. Was the brisket in the cryo type wrap or a store re-pack kind of thing?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Options
    Okay, here is a shot of the inside face of a brisket. notice the area under the word "brisket" and also the heavy edge of fat on the point (the muscle on the forward end that abuts the shank), collectively that is referred to as deckle.

Brisket1.jpg

Here is one about the size of yours, also showing the inside face that has been trimmed up and would be labeled "deckle off"

Brisket102.jpg

Here is another one that has been trimmed even closer that the one above.

[Brisket101.jpg

I actually like to cook mine untrimmed except when the fat around the point is really heavy.

Now, how does yours compare to these pictures??
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• 02Roush2
    Options
    It is cryo wrapped. It looks like there may be a little more fat around the point but not a lot more thanthe one in your pic. May be I'll try and trim a little of it off. It does have a fairly substantial fat cap on it but there appears to be considerable meat as well. Thanks for the pic's. They help a lot!
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    I'm getting really confused now. The one in thirdeye's picture looks like a flat. I thought a whole is more round.
  • thirdeye
    Options
    No, those are all whole ones. The point and flat overlap one another, here is a picture of one with a knobby point, but it shows the division of the muscles a little better.

106d09d2.jpg

Here is an after picture of that big bomber in the last post. It has an unusually large point. The flat is the piece on the left.

830e8564.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~