Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do I calibrate my thermometer?

Options
Barb
Barb Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would appreciate any help anyone can give me. [p]Thanks to all![p]Barb

Comments

• Strmn2Smoke
    Options
    Barb,
    Place the thermometer in a container of boling water (212 degrees)very carefully...there is a nut on the back side of the thermometer ..you can twist that with pliers or a crescent wrench until it coincides to the 212 degree mark, should check it a couple of times in water that is actualy boiling to make sure it reads the same. Of course if you live in Death Valley below sea level or on top of a mountain water boils at different temperatures. Sorry I can't be of any help under those conditions..Careful with the boiling water....nde

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Strmn2Smoke,
    another helpful tip I learned here is to place the thermometer through a paper plate and set that over the boiling water. This will protect you from steam.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Strmn2Smoke
    Options
    Wardster,
    Great tip...many thanks for sharing..nde

• Barb, this link might help. It was posted here long ago by someone else.

[ul][li]Boiling Point of Water[/ul]
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Barb,
    Call me anal, but I like to check the low end too. Set a glass of ice water on the counter for about 5 minutes (to maximize cooling effect of the cubes). When you put the tip of the probe in, it should read 32º. I've got half a dozen meters, and when I calibrate to 212 boiling, they read from 35 to 40 degrees iced. What's it mean? The scales on all of them are "off", but by too little to worry about. (5 degrees over 180 degree range is little more than the width of the mark on the dial.) If it were more than say 10 to 15 degrees, I'd consider replacing the unit.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    therm4.jpg
    <p />Barb,[p]If I am going to the trouble to check one dome thermometer, I figure I might as well check them all. I use a paper plate to keep them all upright and the tips OFF the bottom of the pan where the heat is greater.[p]Since I don't cook stuff at 32° I never bother to check that temp. [p]
    Tim

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Tim M,
    It's REAL low and slow :-)))))
    (And only interesting to us anal types who want to verify the ranging of the meter...)

• Barb
    Barb Posts: 10
    Options
    Strmn2Smoke,[p]Thanks guys for all your input!!![p]Barb