Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size should I get?

Options
ribs1
ribs1 Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, I'm getting a new egg. I gave my medium to my brother because it's too small for me.
I'm thinking about getting the XL but I am just wondering what the downsides of getting the XL are. Does it consume a lot more charcoal than the Large?
Any other downsides?
Thanks

Comments

• SWOkla-Jerry
    SWOkla-Jerry Posts: 640
    Options
    I have been cookin on my XL since Aug and love it. Just purchased and did my 1st cook on the Lg tonite, see earlier post. I have not noticed a large amount of lump consumed, but I have nothing to measure with either. All I know is I can cook low & slow for a very long time, several overnite cooks and had lump left over for several more cooks. Just my .02 worth.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Jerry, did you get the LCB recipes yesterday?
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    SWOkla-Jerry Posts: 640
    Options
    I sure did. Thanks. I have already downloaded them into my LCB. Had no problems. Now, I just need to try some of em.
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    Options
    If you do grilling alot I think the XL is the only way.
    I have 11 hamburgers and three chicken breasts on and they got done almost at the same time and ran them into the house. Had a 28 mile hour wind and when I had the top open it went into high gear.
    You will see a lot of people that think large is the only way to go but yesterday I did two spareribs and a pork roast for people we are here this weekend. It is just easier if you have a wife that says oh put this on too.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    For the same money, I would go the lg and a sm. -RP
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    You gave it to your brother!! :woohoo: :woohoo: Man! Youre a great brother.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    But you haven't mentioned anything that can't be cooked on the large with less fuel.

The only time I use my XL is when I am catering. In fact if you looked at the pictures from Camp LeJeune that XL that was unloaded never did get used.
  • mattm
    mattm Posts: 56
    Options
    I bought my first BGE about 3 weeks ago...got the XL. Yesterday I bought a Medium for versatility, i.e. last night I did some ribs on the XL and grilled some Chicken wings and ABTs on the medium.

I agree with AZRP...If I was to do it all again, I would get a large and a small for the money I spent on the XL.
  • East Bay Al
    East Bay Al Posts: 101
    Options
    I've been using a LBGE for a year now, and got it primarily so I could do low & slow. If you look at the plate setter leg length on both the large and XL, you will notice that the XL leg length is really quite short- shorter than an average drip pan. Im sure there are work around solutions, but for me, the XL looks like a great grill, while the Large is great for long, slow cooks.
    Perhaps others will chime in with their solutions/ recomendations.
    Al
  • CaptGrumpy
    CaptGrumpy Posts: 58
    Options
    I can always use another medium if you are willing to dispose of them that easily! My brother can gather his own eggs! :evil:
    I am from the school of "If one is good , then one of every size is better!" including two of the large.
    p1010047.jpg

The issue of the plate setter legs is only as limiting as your imagination. I have my XL and love it along with all the others. I use a 1/4 pan from a restaurant supply in mine but a cookie sheet will work as well and even a pizza pan will work.
    P1010052.jpg
    P1010053.jpg