Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High Elevation cooking on BGE

Options
Hammer
Hammer Posts: 1,001
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking about buying another BGE for the mtn. home in NC. The home is at an elevation of 3,900 ft.. I have cooked before on another water style smoker, and took a long time.
Need your input on how the BGE would do at high elevation.
A glass of wine to you!
Hammer

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Hammer,[p]Lots of folks in Denver (5431 MSL) use them with little difference over us low level folks. I am at 9 ft MSL. [p]Tim
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    nbcamp.jpg
    <p />Hammer,
    This pic was taken in WV at 3,900 feet. Stuff cooks up really nicely...and as you already know, everything TASTES better in the mountains. You might have to adjust a degree or two when calibrating your thermometer, and your fire might need a smidge more airflow to get the oxygen it would at sea level, but prolly not so much that you wil notice a difference.[p]Now, if you were talkin LaPaz, Bolivia, you might notice a big difference.[p]Happy monday onya.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • I have been using my BGE here in Steamboat,CO for years. I have had no problems and we are appx. 7400ft. Cooking times are relatively unchanged
  • Big-R
    Big-R Posts: 36
    Options
    Hammer, wherebouts is your place in the NC mtns? My vacation house is in Blowing Rock at 3498 ft just off Hwy 221.[p]Randy

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Harvey,
    I've been cooking on my Eggs here in Denver for a little over a year now. If there's any difference between here and sea level, I couldn't prove it. (Might take more beer at sea level...) :-))))))