Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

plate setter

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i have notice on some pictures of of cooking that some people dont put a drip on the plate setter. what i want to know does that affect the taste of food on future cooks.do you just scrape off the burnt grease. thanks

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    To each his own, but any time I'm not using a drip pan I always wrap my setter with foil, because it stands to reason the crud from prior cooks has to emit some "off fumes" when burning off so why let it get cruddy in the first place!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You can cook it off or brush it off, but like Ron I typically lay a sheet of foil across my platesetter or pizza stone if using them for indirect.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Like Fidel and RRP, I'll put some foil on the plate setter to keep as much of the drippings off as possible. It's not 100% effective, however, and you'll eventually have to scrape your 'setter and/or do a cleaning burn with it.
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    Options
    Time and Temperature for a cleaning burn? I have cooked for 42 consecutive days and suspect it is due. ;) Thanks rc
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    Ar-Cee wrote:
    Time and Temperature for a cleaning burn? I have cooked for 42 consecutive days and suspect it is due. ;) Thanks rc
    We cook pizza in our small every Saturday. I bring it up to 550º, hold it there for 20 or 30 minutes, bake two pizzas for 10-11 minutes each, and then shut it down. That seems to be sufficient.
  • Pastor Mike
    Options
    Dollar general stores (cheapest usually) have big tin foil pans for a dollar or a dollar and a quarter. These pans side come all the way up the grill. Big area, catches everything, and you can put in any liquid or not as you choose. I usually use some water so the drippings do not burn. I use foil if not using big pan.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Well....LOL....I've done a couple of cleaning burns and both got away from me. I caught the Egg at 1,000*-plus both times. Cracked my fire ring the second time, but boy, were the Egg and the plate setter clean.