Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

butts tonight

Options
opod
opod Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
smoking some butts tonight and waiting for fire to start. Mmmmmmm---beer. This is my 3rd go-round with butts--both previous attempts were awesome. However since i like to experiment i did not marinade this time and will use saucepan but will not put water/beer in it like i have in the past. there are many postings that say there really isn't much difference in moisture/flavor so we'll see how it goes....

Comments

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Let me know because I too have had success with apple juice water combo in the drip pan. I was going to try just a dry drip pan as well in a few weeks. My water juice combo seems like it sucks alot of heat out of my cook in the start, then causes the temp to go up if unattended toward the end of cook. Maybe not, just a thought.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    With the previous butts you made did you marinate and put a drip pan with apple juice under it? I'm making 2 5lb butts today for the 1st time. I'm a little nervouse about doing this. Do you have an approx. guess as to how long they will take? I've got the rub on them but debating about injecting. What is the exact combination you put in the drip pan previously?
    Thanks!
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    I highly recommend putting water or water/apple juice in the drip pan..not necessarily for flavor..the drip pan gets very hot and if you don't have some liquid in it the drippings from the butt(s) will burn and can create some stanky smells that can affect your flavor..
  • opod
    opod Posts: 41
    Options
    good point about drip pan. was going to elevate in on a couple of small rocks for that reason but it was too deep with the rocks so i just set it on the ceramic plate. hopefully it won't hose me. for time i've gone with standard 1 1/2 hrs/lb of meet and i add a couple of hours on to that for safe measure--better to foil it for a few hours than to have it not done for company. in the past i've also experienced evaporation of the apple juice in the drip pan and subsequent rise in temp once the water in the pan is no longer there to absorb heat. My previous 2 shoulders i marinated AND injected but many more experienced eggers i've noticed don't inject and many say marinating only goes about an inch into the the meat anyway and advocate skipping these messy steps. When i did inject, i marinated for 24 hrs, injected it with the marinade, then rubbed it and let it set for 24 hrs then smoked it. In my humble experience i usually end up smoking at around 250 F even though my goal temp is 225 F. i find it hard to keep my smoker below 250 for long periods of time. practice makes perfect i guess.