Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Different kind of flashback

Options
run4jc
run4jc Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just put my brisket on - used a mix of Cowboy lump and BGE lump. Pretty lively fire until I closed up the egg and reduced the dampers. Then something interesting happened - I opened the egg (slowly as always - 'burped' it first) to insert the temp probe, then closed it. When I closed it a blast of fire shot out of the lower damper. Looked like a jet engine for a second or so. Anyone ever seen that?

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Yeah, I've had that happen several times. Once, while I was doing a demo cook at the dealer.....lost some hair on my leg! :woohoo:
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    yes. jumped back spilled my wine :whistle:
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Sounds like maybe you are controling your fire with the upper damper instead of the lower. The fire was seeking its best source of oxygen.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I had heard of it happening, then it happened to me once.

Don't know why, but it did.
  • run4jc
    run4jc Posts: 107
    Options
    Well, actually, I leave my upper damper with the daisies open - I try and control with the bottom. It was open about an inch and a half.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Have seen... on more than one occasion. Rather impressive. I think with the right balance of air, heat, and volitile gases, this will happen... and the gases need somewhere to go... and they'll take the path of least resistance. I've had my egg do it from both the daisy wheel and the damper. I make it a habit now of not standing directly in front of, or close to, the damper while initally getting the fire going.
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Yep, happens to me once in a while. I think It's when you have a hot fire going, and then decide to close or narrow the top vent. The fire is producing a certain amount of exhaust for that hot temp, so until the temp comes down, the gasses have to go somewhere. If they can't get out on top...... Lookout below!
    Do they make welder's boots?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Egret,

Lucky your tall. I could lose something more important :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    not an uncommon phenomenon. . once upon a time, the stumpbaby wrote one of his most famous stories on this subject. .maybe he'll see this and give us a reprise. .. :woohoo:
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    Just had my first experience with something similar to this. Lit @ 12 O'clock and was taking much longer than usual to come up to temperature. Miss Daisy all the way off and draft door wide open and I'm creeping, creeping up from 180° (target was 250°). I had just added lump and inadvertently dumped the bottom of the bin powder in and I figured that was the problem. Went in through the vent with my trusty bent hanger and cleared the firebox holes I could reach and poked up through the grate (creating spark showers). Temp started creeping up a little faster and then WOOSH - expulsion from the draft door and top, and the thick smoke cleared. Dome temp immediately climbed 50°. Didn't see flames from top or bottom but might have if it wasn't bright daylight. Anyway, the WOOSH seemed to clear what ever problems I was having and she's holding steady as a rock at 250° dome for my rib cook right now.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Mixing charcoal like that cause "Lump Farts"