Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first Brisket/DigiQ

Options
run4jc
run4jc Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Couldn't find a 'whole' brisket - got 2 flats at Costco - one 3.33 pound and one 4.5 pound. Decided to cook the small one first to practice - I got lucky doing my first 3 butts but I think brisket may be tougher. It is rubbed and sitting in the fridge. I'll put it on at about 8 AM - cook it for 7 hours - let it rest for 2 hours - eat! I'll take photos. Next weekend I'll do the other one with my BBQ Guru DigiQ. Ordered it today from Fred's at about 2 PM and he already had it shipped by 5! UPS says it'll arrive (standard ground) Monday! What service - of course, DC is really close to PA, but for him to get it out today is amazing. I look forward to my first butts using the DigiQ - I've read so many good things about it in the forum.
So, wish me luck - a small flat tomorrow with no DigiQ - then a pork loin and the larger flat next weekend with the DigiQ. This forum is great - it sure has us eating better around my house!

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Good luck on that brisket.

Small flat - two pieces of advice.

1. Cook to temp, not time. Start checking for tenderness at 185 or so.

2. Foil it once it hits 170 or so internal with a about 1/4 cup of beef broth or water.
  • SmokeyD
    SmokeyD Posts: 46
    Options
    I really wouldn't count on 7 hours on the smaller one. Since there is less fat I wouldn't be surprised if it only took 3.5-4 hours. Also if your rub is high in salt having it sit in the fridge over night could dry it out.
  • run4jc
    Options
    Thanks - and hello to Buford! I left Hamilton Mill (Dacula) back in January - still have a house there but hope the sale of it wll close soon.
    I am going to use a thermometer so I'll do as you say. Want to have it for dinner tomorrow night so will I be okay if I get it on the egg by 8 in the AM? 250 dome?
    Cooked salmon tonight on cedar planks at 350 with a Q rub on the salmon. Unbelievable.

I lived in Dacula for 11 years and never got an egg - come up here and gotta have one. Best grill I ever bought. I've cooked on the darn thing more in 3 weeks that I cooked on my Weber in a year!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I live right off Hamilton Mill Rd. Have two good friends in Hamilton Mill, and I was a member of the Club there until last year. I've been in Buford about 8 years, and was in Duluth/Lawrenceville before that.

Where are you now?

8am is more than plenty early if you ask me. Once you foil it it will jump up in temp pretty quickly. Make sure that once you pull it you cover in towels or place it in a cooler for at least an hour, two is better. An brisket dries out very quickly once you slice it, so don't cut it until you are ready to serve.

Good luck.
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    with smaller briskets there is no fat to keep it moist so i ususally cover them with a layer of bacon for moisture
    DSC_9753.jpg
    DSC_9756.jpg
    DSC_9764.jpg
    as i stated in an earlier post i have never used foil and my ribs and brisket come out fine. there are as many different ways of doing a cook as there are cooks giving advice whatever works for you is what you use. be patient, practice makes perfect.
  • Lee
    Lee Posts: 10
    Options
    What kind of bread is that? And if bought where??
  • run4jc
    Options
    Darn thing is already at 165....egg is slowly dropping - at 280 and I'm choking it hoping it won't ramp too much. Target temp is???? It's probably hit the plateau right now, yes?
  • run4jc
    Options
    Wrapped it at 170 with broth. Temp really started climbing, so at around a 4 hour cook I pulled it with internal temp at 205. Egg at 280 dome. It is a small one. I foiled it with the broth, wrapped it in a towel and put it in the cooler where it will stay for a while. I sure hope it is tender - I don't think it cooked long enough. I'll post photos shortly. Meanwhile, I had another 4.5 pound brisket, plenty of rub and a great fire, so I put the 4.5 pounder on. I'm going to try and let it go long and slow.

One thing I've learned - everyone is right, you really should get a full brisket to get the best results. I hope the bacon slices substituted for the fat cap!