Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3-2-1 Rib Method

Options
RebelEgg
RebelEgg Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not sure what this method is can someone explain. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Three hours indirect, 2 hours wrapped in foil with a little liquid, 1 final hour indirect with sauce to set it.

This method is for spares. For baby backs it is more like 3-1-1.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    It's a staged cook of ribs, and refers to the time you cook the ribs in each "stage."

Stage 1: Ribs are cooked at around 250*, indirect, for about 3 hours

Stage 2: Ribs are wrapped in foil and cooked at 250*, indirect, for 2 hours. Some add liquid to the foiled ribs to further tenderize them.

Stage 3: Ribs are unwrapped and again cooked at 250*, indirect, for another hour. Saucing occurs at the last part of this stage, maybe with 20-30 minutes left.

I use a 3-1-1 method, usually cutting the second stage to keep some "bite" in my ribs...foiling really works fast to tenderize them
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Rebelegg,

Take a look at WessB's link on this.

http://www.wessb.com/Cooks/foilribs/FoiledRibs.htm

BTW, I have followed this method with okay results. However, I recently attended a BGE class at the mothership and realized that I was not foiling correctly.

Through this class, I learned about double foiling. This is where you pull off double the amount of foil that you need and fold in half. Use this to wrap the ribs, which will give you a double layer of foil. You need to make sure that none of that liquid escapes. This is what makes your ribs tender.

That means if a rib punctures a hole in the foil you need to wrap again.

I recently cooked ribs by double foiling and the improvement was immense. I made my best ribs yet.

Greg