Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

There's not enough time!

ThinkandDrive
ThinkandDrive Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay. So I have people coming over tomorrow for a BBQ that I haven't really planned out properly.

The invite is for 2:00pmish.

I planned on doing pulled pork over night and then having two or three racks of ribs done by the time people are hungry.

On top of that, I have a couple of vegetarians (my wife, included) coming. so I was thinking veggie burgers, portabellas, eggplants, etc. That's not too bad.

But now I look at the timing. For the number of people coming, I'll need maybe a 7lb butt. That might take a max of 17 hours. Then three hours for the ribs, if I rush them. I need to get the meat on NOW and I'm still at work! GAH!

I'm willing to have not-quite-competition ribs. That's the wrench in my plan, I think. So what's an eggceptable shortcut for them?

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Do the butt at 275 or so...it will only take about 10-11 hours and will be juicy and tender. Make sure you rest it in foil and towels in a cooler for a few hours while you cook for ribs, mushrooms, etc.

There's time...don't panic!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Yeah. Shortening the butt cook a little does make the most sense. Lets the butt cool down a bit so it's easier to pull.

I haven't done pulled pork in like a year. It's like I've forgotten how.

Pre-show jitters, I suppose. :lol:
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    1) Do the butt overnight in the egg and transfer to the oven in the morning to finish off. 2) Put your ribs on in plenty of time to do a 3-2-1. Mark ;)
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    If you have a rig or such you can cook both at the same time. Start out the pork now and add the ribs in the morning.
  • Jeffersonian
    It's like falling off a barstool...nothing's simpler.

I do mine with John Henry Pecan rub, indirect with a drip pan, 275* until it hits 195, minimum, 205 is even better. Then pull (be careful, the butt will be falling apart), wrap in foil and a couple of towels and put into a cooler for 2-4 hours. It will pull like cotton candy.

Then do your ribs as you like them (I do standard 3-1-1's), and wrap them the same way while you do the high-temp stuff.

You'll be a culinary hero :woohoo:
  • Okay. I settled on a slightly smaller butt (5lbs) and three big racks of ribs.

The butt went on about an hour and a half ago. I expect it to be done around 9:00am or so. Temp is holding pretty steady.

Here's hopin' and prayin'.
  • Jeffersonian
    I'd watch that butt...it's kinda small and I'd bet it will be done long before that.