Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More than one way to skin a slab.

Options
King-O-Coals
King-O-Coals Posts: 510
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
CATFISHSKINNER.JPG
<p />Several of yall have wondered how the catfish skinners work on ribs. This is my bride of 31 years demonstrating just how easy it is.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    Nice work.
    I must say, those ribs are some of the purtiest ribs I ever saw. Where'd you get those suckers? How much they weigh in at? Wow. Purty.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • King-O-Coals
    Options
    Nature Boy, those are from Sam's Wholesale. I always get them there and they always are eggsactly the same. They pack them three slabs to the cryovac. These weighed in at 7.25 lbs., at $3.29 per lb. which worked out to about $25 bucks tax and all. If you have a Sam's near by, check out their meats. I have an excellent butcher, but Sam's here is hard to beat.

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    RIBS1.JPG
    <p />Nature Boy, this is the triplets lying side by side awaiting some TLC from the master..

• King-O-Coals,[p]I haven't seen ribs lookin' that good anywhere...are you down South?
  • Motorman, if I were 100 yards farther south,, I'd be in the Gulf of Mexico..

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    SHRIMPBOAT.JPG
    <p />Motorman, this a view from the front porch.

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    I noticed you've got a box of Kosher salt just to the left of Chef Paul's Pork & Veal Magic! Where did ya find it? I found mine at a Walmart super store![p]Dr. Chicken

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Dr. Chicken, in Bruno's. I had passed it over a hundred times thinking it was ice cream salt. I get all panicky in grocery stores. I want to run down each aisle like a candy store and peer into the meat market like a proud dad looking for his baby through the nursery window.. I got it bad huh?

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    Yep! You got it bad! So do a bunch of us others! The meat section is a whole new world! [p]See Cat was right! "Swallow your pride! Just go ask some one for it!" Yuk! Yuk! Yuk! I jist love it!!!! HEEEEEEHAAAAA!
    I'd like to get a copy of that recipe NB's got you on to! I'm doing a butt tomorrow too. No way to fit ribs in der too! [p]Man I cain't tell ya how good them wings was! On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best, those things hit at least 50! Lip smackin' good![p]Dr. Chicken

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Dr. Chicken, it's posted under "submitted recipes" and is called Ginger/Mahogeny ribs. I have a marinated slab cooling-it in the fridg right now. It's amazing how the different ingredients blend to make a great aromatic and flavorful brew. Visit an Asian Market food supply for the ingredients. I've got to get me a pestle to crush the good stuff with. I thought he said a pistol,, now I gotta put my Ruger in the dishwasher. That Chinese 5 spice powder is the best smelling stuff I've came across since back in the good old days when the barber would sprinkle that stuff in your hair out of a large bottle with a small neck after a fresh haircut. Remember ol-timer?

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    Yep! I remember!
    I will go to the submitted recipes and look this one over. NB and I have been dicussin' someother ideas too, since he started baking bread. His cuisine varies quite abit from most everyone elses. He has some "hummm dingggers"! [p]Dr. Chicken

• Dr. Chicken, I think his much-better half is responsible for some of his unique ideas. Thanks Nature Girl!
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    K.O.C.,
    The Missuz is definitely a big influence. Learned a great deal from her seven sisters as well! Factor this killer forum into the picture, and you have my total cooking knowledge.[p]You guys are full of kind words here. Thanks.[p]Nature Girl's Hubby

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I'll jump in here b'fore the KOC finishes his "beauty sleep"! (he needs a lot of that!)
    It don't matter what influences your cookin', as long as its good! You've got a unique mixture of tastes, textures and ingredients. You make them fit! Now we need to see if we can be flexible enough to make it work for us! A good cook, can come at things from any direction and still make it right! Wouldn't you say so? I sure didn't call the guy in the chow hall (while I was in the service) cooking eggs a "cook"! He just had a job to do, and was doing it! When I get through cooking, what I'm looking for is the enjoyment, satisfaction & contentment of the folks eating what I cooked! If that ain't there, why waste my time cooking? I could live off Burger King or Wendy's probably cheaper than I do with all my "dreamin-up-ideas" cooking! But, I sure wouldn't enjoy it as much! You tell your wife, and her seven sisters to keep piling on the ideas and influence. Its worked so far, why give up a good thing?[p]Dr. Chicken

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,
    Okay, I'll keep pounding them for info, and watching them cook (when her family gets together they cook ALL DAY, while the men watch football and drink...it's wild)[p]I agree with you....the single most rewarding aspect of cooking is making the eaters happy, and watching them come back for more. Makes it all worthwhile...all in a few minutes![p]Thanks
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    I HATE IT WHEN YOU DO DAT! In Michigan we can still see Ice.
    those ribs look supurb. Those are babbies, right. I'm going to Sams today with this picture. Great pics by the way. All but the sea shot. Can smell the salt as I look at it. GOOOOOOOO GREEEEEEEEEEEEEN ! ! ! [p]MAC

• MAC , yep,, baby backs. They come three slabs to the cryovac pack. Thanks for the kind words. We are runing around in shorts down here, but it looks like rain may be coming this evening. We need it..

• Dr. Chicken, HA! I got my beauty sleep. You awtta see me know. I got my ribs going. NB's smell so good, i hate to wait. They are screaming along the highway of delight at 200 degrees, indirect, and should arrive at completion in 5 hours. And yes, I have pictures. I have to keep the camera put up high to keep the dog and cat from licking it. I gotta clean that thing off before the boss sees it. Well, let me go. The wife is mowing the lawn and I just came up to check the forum to give me a break from watching her. I'm going to have to quit watching her do that,, it just wears me out. Hey! The sun is over the yardarm. Refreshment time.

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    K.O.C.,
    You got to let me know how they turn out! I looked at NB's recipe dis morning. Man it shor do look good! I may have to try it with the next rib cook! The rain has set in for the day here! They say it may end by tomorrow. I've got the butt chuggin away at 270 degrees (dome) and figure probably about 5 or 6 am tomorrow. At least it will be done for dinner after church. Its nice knowing you can continue to Q even when its raining! Never have to miss a lick![p]Dr. Chicken

• King-O-Coals,[p]Looks great...wish I was there...I love the oysters, the grouper...the Stone Crabs...I've got to stop now...the drool is getting my pants wet![p]MM