Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Flying to Chicago for the weekend

BamaFan
BamaFan Posts: 658
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Leaving in the morning and staying Downtown at the Trump Towers. Plan to eat good food and hear some blues. Going to the Antique Market on Saturday and to Rosebud on Saturday night. Also taking a river tour on Saturday morning. Should be fun.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Take the river architecture tour. It is incredible. Of course, they sell booze so maybe my memory is a little fuzzy - but I seem to remember a good time.

You want a good steak - eat at Gibson's or Gene and Georgetti for old school food. If you go to G&G then get the toasted ravioli appetizer - to die for. At Gibson's (and I know this sounds crazy) get the wedge salad if you are a fan of blue cheese. I've never had better blue cheese in my life.
  • BamaFan
    We are taking the architechture tour. I know dinner is planned for Friday is at North Pipe Cafe in the Lincoln Park district.
  • Ike Witt
    Ike Witt Posts: 195
    What Bama said about Gene and Georghetti....awesome restaurant

allen
  • kolbdriver
    kolbdriver Posts: 403
    Be real careful BamaFan, I hear there is a lot of Yankees up there.............Hope you have a great time.
  • BamaFan
    Been going there once a year for the last six years. Love the town and have some good friends there. Could not live there due to the winters. Have a couple who want to move to Bham when the retire. They loved it here on their visit.
  • kolbdriver
    kolbdriver Posts: 403
    My Brother-in Law worked for GM&O Railroad in Mobile when Illinois Central bought them out, they told him his was moving to Chicago, He said NOT.. He and my Sister are still in Mobile. I spent a gread deal of time in Chicago back in the sixty's, had some great times..
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    it is tremendous. Also, save room for the carrot cake. The slice they give you can easily be shared by 10 people- no joke. The steaks are great there and at Ditkas downtown.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Fidel,

The Chop House, Riva's, ****'s frog legs, Harry Carrey's, Weber's and my favourite Heaven on Seven.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SoDakEgger
    SoDakEgger Posts: 122
    Ahhh, Chicago. I was there in March. The Trump building looks phenomenal. You should enjoy the stay- please report back.

There are just too many good places to eat (and drink)in that town. There are some great suggestions in the previous posts, but I feel like I should add to the list. From the Trump, you are within easy walking distance to Rick Bayless' restaurant(s) Topolobampo and Frontera Grill. If nothing else, stop in there for a margarita. The basic ones are great, but I highly recommend the Topolo version which is shaken to order. These are some of the best margaritas you'll ever have.

And don't forget to get yourself an Italian Beef. I found those to be good for breakfast. They seem to have certain curative propertise- especially with hot peppers. ;)
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Try Luke's for a great Italian beef sandwich, get the combo with cheese and hot peppers. Its a hole in the wall, but that's my kind of place. Have fun! -RP