Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone else done this?

Options
70chevelle
70chevelle Posts: 280
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't know if this is commonplace, but I've been cooking boneless, skinless, chicken breasts with the platesetter in place and 400-450*. They don't get crispy on the outside, but my goodness, are they juicy & flavorful. I've also done this with brats & dogs. Even though I don't really like them, they were the best cooked brats/dogs I've had. I guess this would be termed, high heat indirect cooking? The chicken was done with garlic, olive oil, rosemary, salt & pepper. Just wondering if anyone else uses this method?

Comments

• low tech redneck
    Options
    Last night I sliced them about 2/3 of the way through lenghth wise and filled with compound butter and wrapped with bacon.Cooked indirect at 350 F till 170 internal and they were great,moist and juicy and full of flavor.
    For the compound butter I used 2 tbsp. butter,1 tsp. hickory smoked sea salt (from Sams) and about 6 or 7 fresh sweet basil leaves chopped up,and 4 cloves of garlic. Chop the garlic and put in mortar with salt and make paste with pestle then add butter and basil,spread thin on waxed paper and freeze.Makes plenty for 2 breasts.Really good.If you don't like salt cut back accordingly.
    Jim
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    All the time.....
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I almost always cook chicken indirect at 400+. I never check chicken temps but pull when it looks done.
  • Eggspert
    Eggspert Posts: 142
    Options
    i am cooking chicken breast tonight. How did it take to get to 170? Did you cook directly on the plate setter?
  • low tech redneck
    Options
    It took about 40 min. to get 170,used raised grid(adjustable rig)over spider and drip pan for indirect.
    Jim
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    I do it very similar - usually closer to 375-400, but it is quite good. Usually I marinade with some spices (chili powder, cumin, garlic, onion, salt, pepper) and orange juice which gives a very slight sweet glaze. Always very good!!!
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    SWOkla-Jerry Posts: 640
    Options
    Here is one of my favorite simple chicken recipes. You can use any chicken part or whole. Cook on egg, indirect 400 until done to your specs.

Chicken Thyme

I adapted this from a recipe on Epicurious - it's amazing that something SO simple can taste SO good:

- 1 roasting chicken or chicken parts
    - 1/8 to 1/4 cup olive oil
    - 2 Teaspoons dry thyme
    - 2 tsp. garlic powder

Whisk last 3 together & pour/spread over chicken. Bake 350' till done. I don't even measure the ingredients anymore. Sometimes I throw in some Realemon juice.

Recipe Type
    Poultry