Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Boston Butt

Options
RebelEgg
RebelEgg Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got my first boston butt on the egg cooking around 240 to 260 dome. Did an injection and then a DP rub. I have heard of some folks wrapping the butts in foil but I didn't do that. Have a made a mistake or will it fine.

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    You are fine. The wrapping in foil and letting it rest for 2 or 3 hours is after it is cooked. Your temp is good and you can look forward to hitting 195 internal temp in about 16 hours. Enjoy!
  • RebelEgg
    RebelEgg Posts: 45
    Options
    Should a 6.5lb butt take that long to hit 195. Its was put on at 5:00 this morning figured it would be done around 5 and have time to rest before pulling or at least that was my plan.
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    at the temp you are cooking a 6.5 lb could take 9-12 hours. figure 1.5-2 hrs per pound. it will probably get up to 160 or so in about 4 hours but it could sit on the "plateau" for the rest of the cook before it starts to climb again. be patient it is done when it wants to be. go by internal temp and everything will be fine, practice makes perfect
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Normally takes longer to hit the desired temp of 195. The temp can sit around for 160 to 170 for 4 to 5 hours as the collagen break downs. Some say you can raise the temp near the later part of the cook without suffering taste. The thing is also hot when it comes out and a little resting helps when you shred it. Let us know how it comes out.
  • FoolControl
    Options
    It shouldn't take that long to do a butt that small. I don't like to wrap anything in foil. I don't like what it does to the bark. When you get the final temp, observe how much the meat has shrunk up on the bone (same with ribs). If you try and turn it over and it cracks or splits down the middle, it is definately done. If you can pull the bone out, it is done.

Everybody does it a little different. There is no one right way. You collect information and experience and then develop your own method and style.
  • Trailblazer1229
    Options
    I did my first this past weekend. It was 7.8 pounds. It went on at 10:30pm. Temp was between 220 and 250 dome the entire time, bust mostly around 235. It took until 5:30pm the next day to hit 200 degrees. That is 19 hours for almost an 8 lb butt. It took forever to get from 190 to 200. So, it could have been pulled earlier I guess, but I wanted 200 and was not in a rush. It actually worked out perfectly. It jumped from 196 to 200 rather quickly when I let the dome get over 250. be carefull when you pull it off the grate if you don't have a v-rack. The butt almost broke apart in my hands and I had to get 2 spatulas to get it off. That was when I knew it was going to taste awesome. I also reccomend getting a wireless remote thermometer. I didn't have one and was running out every hour to make sure the fie didn't go out. I have one now.
  • leannaaker
    Options
    We've done about 4 butts on our egg, all unpredictable in time, but *all* longer than we thought. We had one 8 lb. butt that took almost 22 hours to reach 190. Knowing and expecting the temp to plateau somewhere between 150-170 also takes the anxiety out of how long it is taking.

I second the suggestions for a meat thermometer.

Hope it turns out great!
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I cook all my butts at 250-275, and I've never had one go over 1.5 hours per pound. They've all been delicious, too. The last was absolutely the best, which I attribute to the 4 hours they spent resting in foil and towels. They practically fell apart.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    I fall into Jeffersonian's camp. I cook with a dome temp of right at 250 and and kick it up to 275-300 after the butt temp reaches about 170. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm...........good! I also rest mine for at least 1 hour and usually about 2-3 in a cooler.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    And, did I mention, they don't suck?

DSC01122.jpg

My fellow parishoners were very happy with these.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Personally, I cooked mine at 275 for 4 hours then double wrapped in foil and cooked for another 4 hours.

It was absolutely delicious!!

Greg
  • Eggspert
    Eggspert Posts: 142
    Options
    After you put it in a cooler, do you heat again? What is your opinion of the cooler techinque? What is the purpose?
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Double wrap the butts in foil and wrap a towel around that. Place in a cooler. The meat will stay hot for up to 4 hours...believe me...you will not have to reheat it...the purpose is to let the juices recirculate through the meat...when you pull the pork be sure and pour the juice on the meat...mmmmm B)
  • Eggspert
    Eggspert Posts: 142
    Options