Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What in the word are these?

HungryNephew
HungryNephew Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Are those Primos?

IMG00033.jpg

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    WOW never seen anything like them.... they are pretty....Flower pots? :)
  • HungryNephew
    That was my first thought too. I picked up the lid and they are ceramic cookers. They were sitting outside an Italian Market so I don't think they were selling them. They were unused.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I think they might be Caulifornia smokers! 8 - )
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    They are Green eggs on acid!!
    Tres chic Eggs in the artsy part of the hood.
  • HungryNephew
    I just called the Italian deli where I saw them. They were imported from Italy. They are selling for a cool $1800 each.
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    For $1,800 apiece they better come with a chef for the first month to do all the cooking! :laugh:
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    thems way too purty to get dirty.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    That ceramic work is the same we call Talavera only here you would get it for a fraction of the price you mention :) Some Wikipedia for you.

Talavera is the name of a type of Mexican pottery originally from the cities of Puebla, Mexico, and Dolores Hidalgo, Guanajuato, Mexico.

While it is named after Talavera de la Reina, a city in Spain, the term "talavera" is most often used to describe the Mexican derivation of this art pottery. The painted pottery of Spain would be more appropriately referred to as majolica.

Talavera is the term used to when describing the recreation of beautiful art that extends from Spaniards and the people of China. The specific village that some of the world's most beautiful pottery and ceramics come from is Talavera de la Reina. The artists from Spain are known to be some of the best possessing true skills in creating beautiful pieces of art; most of those skills being passed down from their ancestors for centuries.

Talavera pottery is a form of Majolica. Mojolica is any handmade pottery, paintings, and other ceramics and arts created by the earth's materials. The process of creating Mojolica journeys from Egypt and ancient Mesopotamia, and according to Mexican Connexion, "was further refined in China." When Spanish artisans entered Mexico in the 16th century, they introduced this art to the people of Mexico; who later and as of now take pride in creating this type of art. Their art expands from a combination of different cultures, the Chinese, Spanish, Moors and Egyptians.

Talavera pottery is made from blending clays together with water to soften the clay. This process also thins the clay making it more accessible to work with. When sculpting the clay, the artist can create the form by hand sculpting, molds, or a potter's wheel. When the shape of the pottery is complete, the artist will then leave the clay out to dry for about eight to twelve weeks, approximately two to three months. This process also goes through two sets of burning, which is the baking of the clay to obtain durability. This first bake will change the clay colored piece to a reddish orange color known as "jahuete", and then painted and decorated. After the painting and decorating is dry, the piece will be baked (also known as fired) once again, finishing the final piece of art.

Many people consider Puebla, Mexico the home of Mexican Talavera because of the first regulations and standards for determining uniformity and excellence of the traditional Mexican Talavera. These locations that see the regulations are met are called "fabricas", and have only a few left in Mexico.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Wow Beli,
    That was a great history lesson on those. Well done, my friend!