Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best(cheap)beef cut for steak wedgies

Options
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning all. I egged steak wedgies last night using a 3 lb. chuck roast that I sliced paper thin with my slicer and then browned in a cast iron skillet with DP Cowlick. I used Boboli pizza shells brushed with evoo and sprinkled with fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt then topped with provolone cheese. The toppings were lettuce, tomato, sweet onion, mayo and italian dressing. My kid gave me an 8 out of 10 for my first attempt at making them at home, but stopped short of raving because the meat tasted roast beef(ish)-like instead of steak-like. :S Unfortunately, I had to agree with him, though they were very good. So my question is: What is your favorite(inexpensive) steak- like tasting beef cut to slice thin and brown for steak wedges and cheesesteaks and such? Thanks, Mark

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Sirloin will be the least expensive steak. Ribeye and strip steaks can be had at a reasonable price. I like tri tip steak very much. Good luck to yo. Tom
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    i think a newyork sirloin cut from a rump roast would be a good choice. if you want to give it a steak flavor skewer it like terryaki and give it a quick sear in the egg, i cook the chinese terryaki steaks like that using sliced ribeye. actually there was a place that did terryaki cheese steak subs around here that were delicous, you could even go that route.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Flat irons would work great. You can slice them thin after you cook them and here in Atlanta they are much cheaper than most other "steak" cuts of meat...$3.99 a lb on sale $4.99 regular....
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm probably going to go the sirloin-something route the next time. With the pizza shells, meat, cheese and condiments, I probably had $15 in last nights' dinner and I can't do that regularly. The butchers around here would look at you like you were from Mars if you asked for a tri-tip or a flat iron. Here, in rural NW Pa, we have NY strips, ribeyes, T-bones, porterhouses and delmonicos PERIOD. "Real" steak is out of the question. My 17 year old boy can eat half his body weight in one sitting. Out of eight slices, I ate two, my wife ate one and my son ate five and then he had a cereal bowl of ice cream for dessert. One slice is left in the fridge for his lunch today. The local pizza parlors use something that's obviously cheap and tastes reasonably good in shredded form. I'll post back after I've tried a few other cuts from the sirloin family. Thanks again, Mark
  • Topo Gigio
    Topo Gigio Posts: 98
    Options
    My top choice would be skirt steak followed by flank steak.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Ah, yes! Thank you. Hadn't thought of those. I'll bet that's what the pizza joints are using. Mark
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Shaved steak is usually cut from loin tails. See if you can get a whole one at a meat shop, or from a local food distributor (most will sell something retail if you give them a call- better yet you can probably buy a 10lb box of frozen shaved steak). Freeze it a little bit to stiffen it up, then throw it on the slicer. You will be able to cut it thinner that way.

If you want strips of steak maybe slicing up a sirloin strip would be better....When the local shops around here have them on a good sale you can usually get them for 2.99lb.

Again freeze it a little first and you will be able to slice it thinner.