Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket - Length of cook

Options
Brian
Brian Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How long can you really smoke a brisket for (flat, 10-12 pds.)? I did one last weekend for about 8 hours and it came out ok. But I was thinking about cooking even longer. Any downside?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Brian,
    I think longer is better with a brisket. I usually cook 10-12 pounders for 18-20 hours at a cooking level temp of 225. When you reach 185 internal, start checking for doneness.[p]Yell if you have any more questions!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Brian
    Brian Posts: 73
    Options
    The last one I cooked for 8 hrs at 250, it was good when sliced thin, but not nearly tender as I would have liked. I find it hard to maintain 225 without having it go out on me though. I will give it a try.
  • Porkchop
    Porkchop Posts: 155
    Options
    that's an awful big flat! you sure you didn't get the whole brisket there? brisket goes long time, like 14+hours at 250 for whole, til like 195 inside, all depending on weight.[p]with a flat, i've got no experience, but you could probably use the "texas crutch" (aluminum foil) and wrap during the later hours of the cook.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    brian,
    250 dome is perfect. I was talking down at the cooking level next to the meat...which is usually a bit lower in my experiences. [p]What internal temp did you get to last time?? The key for tender brisket is to allow all the time it needs for the connective tissue to breakdown properly....which is usually in the 155-170 range. With the briskets I have cooked, they have never been done before cresting 185 internal.[p]Good luck!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Brian,[p]I too think you may have had the entire brisket. The biggest flat I have ever seen in a store in the last 10 years was 7.85 lbs. I cooked it 16 hours and it was still not done! This included 3 hours in foil!![p]Time and weight have little correlation when it comes to cooking a brisket. You MUST judge your cooking times by THICKNESS.[p]If you really did have just the flat, it would have been VERY thick and in 8 hours it would still be tougher than a badger's ass.[p]I have had flats cook up in 1hr./lb. and others, like I mentioned above, that weren't done in 2hrs./lb.[p]You can cook a brisket clear up to 205º and it will still be very good...but any higher and it may turn to roast beef.....which is not all bad.[p]Use your thermo probe or a fork to test for doneness...it should slide in easily.[p]Stogie
  • Charcoal Mike
    Options
    Stogie,[p]I've never tried Badger.[p]Sorry, couldn't resist.[p]- Mike

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Mike,[p]Believe me......It's tough!! LOL

• Brian,
    I cooked two "flats" three weeks ago. Each weighed about 5 pounds. I cooked them at 225 from 9:00 p.m. until 12:00 noon the following day. It reached about 197 deg. internal temp. and was the best I've ever done. I used a polder to monitor the temperature and installed a thermometer in my WSM to monitor the cooking temp.