Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Preheating for Pizza (quick answer needed)

Options
ColoradoCook
ColoradoCook Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm getting ready to do a pizza. The last time I did one I preheated the egg for 45 minutes with the pizza stone. I stablized the egg at 500 degrees. I ended up burning the crust underneath, the pizza looked fine but it was quite burnt. Is it a better idea to not preheat the stone so much, maybe preheat the egg for a while and preheat the stone for 10 minutes. I hate my crust burnt. Thank you ahead of time for any quick suggestions.[p]CC

Comments

• disabledDK
    Options
    ColoradoCook, Do you have a plate setter or fire bricks?
    This will help keep the heat away from the crust. As you stated, only pre-heat the stone for 5-10 minutes. A pizza should take 12-15 min. at 500-550. Hope this helps in you time of need. DK

• ColoradoCook
    Options
    ColoradoCook,[p]Whiz's site had some good answers.[p]Thanks all,[p]CC
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    ColoradoCook,
    My guess is your stone was way too hot.I'd try only heating the stone for about 5 minutes. How long were you cooking your pizza? We do ours for about 8 minutes at 550.

[ul][li]Pizza page[/ul]
  • sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    ColoradoCook,[p]I've found it's a delicate balance between burnt crust and melted cheese in a pizza cook. I prefer a bit hotter temps. I found my best luck at 650. For my dough recipe, that's the temp that perfectly cooks the crust, just as the toppings are perfect. Everything gels together. At 700, the crust burns, before the toppings are done. And at 600, the cheese shows signs of burning.[p]As for pre-heating, you are definitely not pre-heating too long, as that doesn't seem possible to me. You want a nicely pre-heated Egg.[p]I would try cooking at a higher temp (like 600) for less time (mine cook in about 6 minutes). See if this new cooking range does the trick for you. The added bonus, is that your crusts may come out a big crispier, which I personally like.[p]Good luck,[p]--sdb
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    nikkig,
    Hey!
    Glad to see you back home and posting!

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    ColoradoCook,
    Here is a link to my pizza page. You didn't tell us if you used a plate setter or fire bricks under the stone. I use a place setter under the stone, preheat about 30 minutes to 550 and cook for 6-7 minutes. Also you didn't tell us if you are using home made dough or what?[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Page of Pizza Info[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Shelby,
    Yep, back home now, and posting, and cooking, and cleaning. We have those jars of pickled watermelon rind to cook up. May do some of those before we do Smashed Chicken tomorrow night.[p]Did you see the finished egg home? It looks alot better with doors on it. Rick even put a little spot light out there so we can see better at night when we are cooking.[p]Saw your post about the small eggs. If they aren't going to change the band, I may just put it on my Christmas list. I better start being good so Santa will bring me one![p]~nikki[p]

[ul][li]Our egg[/ul]