Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt - Low and Slow

QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK...I'm ready to jump in there and try my hand at a low and slow pork butt on Sat night for Sunday dinner...been reading about The Naked Whiz's first one, and have gone over in detail Elder Ward's info. Got my polder ready to go and a brand new 20lb bag of lump. Any tips or suggestions for a newbie? [p]I'm sure it's gonna be an all-nighter, since I will probably need to keep an eye on the temp gauge (yeah, I know I'm supposed to go ahead and go to bed, but there ain't no way I'll be able to sleep, worrying about my fire going out!). Maybe once I've done it, I'll be more trusting, but for now, I figure I might as well get my sleeping bag out and set up camp! [p]Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    QBabe,
    Make sure your air holes are cleared out before adding you lump. Put the biggest chunks on the bottom then go to sleep. No worries.[p]Lately, I've found the I've need to add more lump in the morning, around 8 or 9. No big deal, just pull everything out dump in some lump -- let it get going for 10 minutes or so then put the butt(s) back on. You may need to monitor the temp for an hour or so after adding new lump, just to keep your 225 to 240 temp.[p]You should have no problems![p]Good luck.[p]B~F

• Porkchop
    Porkchop Posts: 155
    the great thing about these ceramics is that you don't have to stay up and tend fire.[p]i'd make sure you start with a clean cooker, check airholes like bama said, and clean out ash from bottom too. direct or indirect, make sure you have a drip pan, cause the juice can put out your fire. long as you make sure to follow EW method and make sure you've got the cooker stable for awhile before you hit the sack, you should be good all nite.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    QBabe,
    Good tips already. 240-250 dome temp will get you where you need to be. Count on around 2 hours a pound....more or less. Best not to open the cooker.[p]Personally I always get up at least once in the middle of the night regardless of how stable the temp was when I turned out the lights. Every 3 hours is a safe bet. Afterall, it is a living breathing fire, and an uneven stack of carbonized wood, so you can't expect it to ride smoothly all night. Sometimes it does, but waking up to 100 degree cooker with no idea of how long the fire has been out really bites.[p]Have fun!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Clarky
    Clarky Posts: 16
    QBabe,
    Follow the suggestions you have received and you will have no problem. I did (2) 6.5lb butts a couple of weeks ago for 20 hrs. and they were the best yet.[p]1 more important aspect...what are you using for a rub? I really like to use lots of brown sugar with various other ingredients that spice it up. Let is sit for atleast 12 hours refrigerated and then bring to room temp. before throwing it on.[p]Good luck and let us know how it came out. Don't forget to take some pictures.

• QBabe,
    Go to bed. Just get your fire box full of lump,get a good steady temp of 225-250 and then go to bed. Never has failed for me yet. I,ve lost about 20-25 degrees through the night before,but just open the vents a little and the temp will come right back. Good Luck
    Happy Cooking

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    The last time I did an overnight cook (a butt and a brisket), I stared the fire by placing starter cubes in three different places (one in the middle, and two on the sides.) I usually sleep for an hour or two, get up and check the Egg, go back to bed for an hour or two, and so on. I have had the lump go out a few times when I started it with just one cube. This time I forgot to set the alarm (or maybe Mr. Jameson decided that I drank too much of him :) and I didn't check the Egg at all that night/early morning. I woke up around 8:00 or 9:00, jumped out of bed paranoid that the fire would be out. It was between 250 and 300, and burning strong! [p]I think lighting the lump in multiple places keeps an even burn going.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    QBabe,
    In my time with the Egg and doing butt or picnic shoulder I've only stayed up one tiime to check through the night.
    There's a couple of things that I have learned;
    One, if you follow Elder Wards instructions and lay in the lump like a jig saw puzzle you'll have your best luck with the cook. In my large after an 18 - 20 hour cook there's usually enough lump left to do a couple of steak cooks at least.
    Two, when you light your fire place one cube in the center in a little depression. That's all. One cube in the center. The reason is fire does not travel down as a rule, it loves to travel up. When you light your lump in the manner the fire will burn down slowly then burn out. I've notice after a few cooks that the unburned lump is all around the sides. It seems pretty logical if you think of it. And a temp of 250º is easier to maintain this way.
    I have to admit that when I don't try to put the lump in a reccomended by EW I won't have as much unburned lump as when I follow directions.
    Good luck and get some sleep.

• Sundown,[p]Could you please tell me where to find EW's lump instructions?[p]thx[p]bob[p]ps: tried your email but no good[p]
  • Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    spongebob, This is off of The Naked Whiz site.

[ul][li]Elder Wards Butt Method[/ul]
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    clarky,[p]I sprinkled it with Elder Ward's rub last night before I went to bed, then I added a little fresh tonight before I put it on the cooker about an hour ago. Was shooting for the 230* to 250* range, and she stayed there for about 45 minutes, but just in the last 15 minutes or so, she's shot up 20*, so now I've closed things up a bit to keep her from climbing up any more....[p]We'll see how it goes...[p]:-)[p][p]