Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL or LG

BoneDaddy's
BoneDaddy's Posts: 257
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So Hello All, tomorrow may be my day to jump in the a new Egg. If you could do it all over again, would you get the XL or Lg and why.

Thanks,
Frank
Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I'd still go with the Large...the XL is too big for my family's needs for 99% of the cooks I do. If I had my druthers, I'd get a Large and either a Small or a Medium to complement it.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Large and small. :woohoo: About the same as an XL. A great combo.

Mike
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    I agree with Mike.As a proud XL owner,I would rather have a large/small combo. ;) The XL is big,but has issues with dome clearance.I'm sure I could work through these shortcomings if I had to,but I don't because I have two other eggs :woohoo: If I had to choose,I would go Large,then decide if I needed another.The second egg is great for cooking at different temps and smoke flavor at the same time. ;)
  • Happy Hog
    Happy Hog Posts: 67
    I have a large. a small and a XL
    If I could only have one it would be the XL
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Damn Happy Hog,i'm beginning to think that's your signature :lol: I'm glad that you like your XL so much,but it is more grill than most people need.What if I don't want my veggies to smell like fish?Well,i'll just fire up the small for the veggies :woohoo: The large/small combo is better for my needs ;)
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    If you have the money for the XL, buy the LG and a SM.

The problem I have with the EGG is not space but being able to cook at different temps simultaneously.

Personally, I have the LG and SM combo.

Greg
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    Here are the pros of the XL
    1. You can cook six whole ribs flat on two grates and up to 12 vertically with out cutting in half
    2. I have cooked six butts at one time.
    3. You can cook all the chicken your wife wants done at one time for a group of eight or ten.
    4. With the kit from eggaccessories for XL you have two large grates to cook off of easily.
    5. When cooking fish filets that take a lot of space they can be done at the same time
    6. You can cook four chickens vertically with lots of space between them.
    7. Cook all your baked potatoes on the bottom grate and your food on top.
    8. Lots of room for charcoal for long and slow cooks
    9. Your food does not get burned around the edge of the egg because the placesetter or stone only protects a portion of the edge on the xl you have plenty of room inside the stone or placesetter.
    10. You can have it warmed up ready to go in 15 minutes.
    11. It makes great pizza with the grate level or higher in the dome.
    Cons
    1. You have to cook the turkey horizonally.
    2. Gee I do not know because I only own a XL
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Most of your pros apply to the Large as well. Yes you can get 6 butts on a Large. Check out the Camp LeJeune pictures. But why would you want to if you aren't ever going to feed more then 25 or 30 people at a time. Six eight pound butts will feed over a 100 people.

Plus one more Large pro = The large uses less fuel per cook.

XL Con you missed - It weighs 200 pounds.
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    Well for one thing my wife does not want more than one grill in the back yard.
    I cooked that many butts because my sister in law wanted two for the holidays and we froze two for the holidays also. Personally I do not really enjoy the 16 hour it takes to cook a Boston Butt. I like the results so with the XL I can do less all day cooks and I like that.
    The weight is not a problem on the lake here because I do not move it and I do not want it to move.
    I realize that a large will work for a most people but personally the differance in charcoal is not a factor for me.
    I am fairly new and I know most people have a lot more experience but most have not tried a XL either.
    The biggest reason for me is one grill in the yard is one too many and two never fly.
  • kenstl
    kenstl Posts: 14
    I am new to the croud and purchased an XL as my first Egg about a month ago. I can see there will come a time that I will want to cook a long cook as well as dinner for the night, thus making me want two cookers. That being said, I like having the extra grill space of the XL. It lets me do corn on the cob, mixed vegetables, and the meat portion of the meal all at one time. Probably over kill on what I really need in size, but if we only bought what we really need, I probably would not have an Egg! ;)

I do see a small in my future if this addiction continues!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    I do own both and the large sees more use. For that matter my small sees the most use.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    I'd get a LG.
    I don't have a compelling need for an XL.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I just bought a small to compliment my large. I havent cooked on my large since, although I will be soon. I have had the pleasure of cooking on an XL (at Doug123's smokehouse), which was very nice but I just don't think you need that much space. Let's face it, if cooking large amounts of grilled/smoked food was our main goal, we would all be using big steel smokers.
    In my opinion, if you can get your food on there, anything more is wasted space that will cause you to burn more lump.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    I'm looking at the size issue from the other direction. We started with a Small that I've cooked on almost every day for a couple of months. We recently ordered a Large egg and some accessories for it. The egg isn't here yet but the cast iron grate and the Adjustable Rig are, and they look HUGE. I'm not completely convinced that we shouldn't have gone with a Medium.
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    I'm new to the cult, but I asked a similar question when I was getting ready to buy. I ended up going with the large and medium combo. Now that I have, I find myself using the medium more often for quick grilling, and the large for only the long, low and slow cooks.
  • BoneDaddy's
    BoneDaddy's Posts: 257
    I think the XL is the way for me...plus my wife will have a heartattack if I spend $999 on the XL
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Go large. You'll love the dome height and it is plenty big enough to cook for 20+ people. I did 2 8# butts and 8 racks of ribs on father's day. I coolered the butts while the racks were going 3-1-1 method. All turned out great!
  • ST1SSDV
    ST1SSDV Posts: 33
    Mahi-Mahi,

It might take a little creative pitching, but a large table with an extra hole could mount a amaller second Egg in the same "single" unit.