Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What gas grill

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey eggheads.

Love my egg and couldn't live without. But sometimes I just want to grill up a chicken breast for lunch without having to light the egg and waste lump.

If there's 1 gas grill to buy, which is it? Tec? Jenn-Air?

Thanks and happy eggin.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    George Foreman counter top unit.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Buy a mini or a small..you use very little lump and you don't sacrifice taste...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i would get the mini egg. for a gas grill the smallest cheapest one i could find, maybe one of those portable ones with the little one pound screw in tank. maybe a habatchi that uses kingsford. we are just talking one chicken breast, i wouldnt spend much, there is always the oven or some grease stove top that could cook that or im sure someone here has a foreman grill they could send you for free.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    When is 'firing up the egg' a waste of lump?? For shame!
  • Unknown
    Options
    I knew I shouldn't have asked which Ford to buy on a Chevy forum.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    there really isnt one gas grill thats going to cook a piece of chicken better than another, same for hot dogs and burgers. if i had to i would probably get a weber because they are everywhere but i really dont like the front to back grill configuration. to me side to sde is better so that you can put the meat on the unlit side and turn the other side on for inderect heat.
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    these guys know grills better than anyone, you might find out your needs here, hope it helps
    http://www.grillforum.com/que/queboard/
    fukahwee maine

• Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    If you're near NW PA, I'll give you my 5 year old Weber Silver B for three bags of decent lump. My twin LBGE's glare at him from across the deck. He's like the red-headed stepchild in our family now. :laugh:
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    Pre egg, I used a small weber "Q"....about $90 and came with a cast iron grate....that I now use on the egg. The weber did a great job of the quick and dirty grill jobs. Uses either a 20# tank, or the small 1# cylinders. Bought it on e-bay...free shipping, no tax. Good luck B)
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    I have a DCS built into my outdoor kitchen - was done pre-eggsperience!

I will say that if all I am doing is a quick round of dogs for the kids, it's great to heat up very fast and get to work....now it DOES make for a pretty damn expensive hot dog cooker!

I rarely eat anything of the gasser these days...
  • EggDealer 1
    Options
    As a dealer in Ohio, I strongly urge you to stay away from the big box stores gas grill. Not only will they rust away in 2 - 3 years, but good luck trying to get parts for either grill. May i recommend that you spend a little more money, and get a quality grill. I would suggest looking at MHP - Modern Home Products, or Broilmaster. Both grills have outstanding warrantys, and supperior quality. Hope you make the right decision.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks for the input. Thats why I'm asking around, I don't want to buy a BBS gas grill, they're junk.

Leaning towards a TEC.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    My brother has a TEC infrared. Kinda hard to control temp on it, he cusses it often. My advice is to cook on one (if you can) a couple times before buying.
  • mattm
    mattm Posts: 56
    Options
    I agree with the other posters...if you are gonna spend the money at least get one that you can order replacement parts. My wife thought she was doing me a favor buying a grill from Wally World last year and it was big...stainless..4 burners, side burner..the works..I am trying to give it away because the burners are bad and it is just a piec e of junk now.

I believe in buying the best money can buy in most instances...look at it like an investment over the number of years you intend to use it and in that looking glass, price becomes more comparable and usually the best made product ends up being the least costly. The other approach is to look at the gasser like a pair of underwear...short life...disposable..and you know what you are gonna do to them when you are wearing them so go cheap!!! Good luck!!
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Sac Religious...just drive thru Wendy's for a chicken sandwich...do you want your egg to witness your cheating on it? Or get a George Forman and you don't even have to go out of doors.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    You know, I was thinkin' something like this today. I'm married to Jessica Alba and Giselle Bundschen and I have a little side thing goin' on, but sometimes a guy just needs a gal that's more earthy. I'm gonna leave the girls behind and start trolling methadone clinics and shelters...

:P
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    Options
    I have two gassers for the 5th wheel that I tow around during the summer. When the kids come up to get away from all the people. I got both the grills pre-egg. I would gladly get rid of both for a small or mini. I do think that the large is just too much to tow to the lake.
    The egg is just tooooo nice. The only thing propane is good for is lighting the egg..LOL

Hope all is well with you......Rickyd
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Have you checked Craig's List or FreeCycle? I occasionally see free gassers on both. If you don't want to wait for a free one, there are plenty of deals on Craig's List under For Sale. They also turn up at the local Good Will store from time to time.
    My point is; if all you're going to use it for is a quick burger or a dog, why spend the $$$ for a fancy new one when there are so many sources for cheep – serviceable used ones?
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Check the August burn center. I bet their is some one who would gladly give you one. Our owner spent some time there compliments of his custom built ( pull around b-hind his truck ) gasser. Both of my old gaassers went to the metal recycle dump. Choose well. Miles out.
  • Smokin' In Tally
    Options
    At the risk of being forever banned from the forum, I will admit that I still regularly use my Weber gas grill. I'd say I split my cooking about 50 / 50. Some foods I prefer on the egg, some I actually prefer on the Weber. I guess my many years of cooking on a gas grill before the purchase of the Egg has tainted my tastebuds! I really do appreciate the convenience of the gas grill when I'm in a hurry.

So to answer your question, I highly recommend Weber. They are made in America and backed by very good support. Replacement parts are readily available, and if you buy one of the stainless models it will serve you for many years.

About ten years ago I decided to stop buying throw-away grills, so I bought a stainless Weber (Genisis Gold C), and I've never regretted the purchase.

About two years ago I purchased a large BGE and I love it also. It's more versatile and the food is great, but there are still times that I prefer the gas grill. For me the Egg compliments, but does not replace, my Weber.

Good luck!
  • Lizard Dragger
    Options
    I have the Weber Genesis Gold C as well and love it. I probably split my cooking 50/50 as I have teenage boys and have to fit supper around their busy schedules.

It also has a sideburner which I use to start my lump in a chimney, we also use it for cooking smelly things like onions and frying things.
  • JonAmesburyMA
    Options
    My wife bought me a mini to go with my LG, I love it I seared two rib eyes perfectly. I own a $1000 stainless i havent used in a year. Im also cooking 9 racks of babys at the new england egg fest on a lg it can be done stack em and use the rack extender and a pizza stone on top of resting on the coals so you get more height from the rack. But the fact of the matter is the mini rocks, not to mention you can travel with it. She had alterior motives with the mini to use it for s'mores you know graham crackers choclate and marshmellow lol.