Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Question

Nardi513
Nardi513 Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all, just ordered my first Egg this weekend. Decided on the Large and hopefully it will be in tomorrow.

I have seen that you should not cook on high temps for the first 3 to 4 cooks to avoid melting the gasket, anything else I should be aware of?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    retighten the bands after the first couple cooks, then after the first high temp cook, then every 6 months for maintanence, the bands loosen after a while and its important to make sure they are not loose, i recheck mine every 6 months atleast
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Actually, it's the first 10 cooks.
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    One thing to keep in mind is that the BGE takes patience and a little more planning than your old gasser or BBQ grill. It is so tempting to peek under the dome while cooking but just trust it and enjoy. Start up is a little longer than gas only because you need to either clean or set up the lump/ash before lighting. Once you have a few cooks under your belt you will love your egg and this forum is the greatest source of info there is.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    If you have the bottom open all the way, and the "daisy wheel" completely off, the temperature can come up very fast once it gets past 350. So to avoid those high temperatures for awhile, make sure to close the bottom at least half way and put the daisy on with the holes open when you reach 300. Set them that way from the start if you don't mind taking a good bit of time to come to temperature.

Let the fire settle in if you are going for lo-n-slo. The lump needs to burn off the volitile organic chemicals still left in it. The smoke will go from white and dense to wispy and bluish.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    FLASHBACK. Get in the habit of burping the egg befor opening, particularly with new lump. People rarely get really burned but losing arm hair and an occasional eybrow is not unheard of.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    As PhilsGrill says I would go at least 10 cooks before high temps. Also read this first before you do a high temp. You will not be sorry. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm

Good luck with your new egg and enjoy it.
  • Also check the blots on the nest if you have one, I had a wheel almost come off.

Lazydog B)
  • Nardi513
    Glad I asked, 10 days without a steak, not sure I'm going to make it.

I did review the flashback tutorial on nakedwiz last night, lots of information which is always good.

Can't wait to be able to be on the other end to help out other, excellent to have a forum where everyone is willing to help out.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Also be aware that there is something in the Green Ceramic coating that causes you to become compulsive about cooking. You start cooking three to four or more times a week and you start talking to friends about your BGE like it's your BFF. Soon you start frequenting these chat rooms while your partner says "Aren't you coming to bed?" Very, very serious.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Assuming your egg is in a nest, if you have to move it pull and don't push - and be careful not to catch a rock or anything under a wheel. A few eggs have been seriously injured by tipping over.

When you are done cooking and want to extinguish the fire, close the bottom vent, put the daisy wheel on the cooking grid, close the dome and put the ceramic cap on top. This will shut it down better and will self-clean the daisy.

Finally - practice getting to temps and holding them. Get to know your egg and it will be your friend.

And regarding your 10 days without a steak comment - you can cook a nice steak at 400-450 and get great results, just don't go nuclear with the temps and you'll be fine.

Welcome and good luck.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Wise words from a wise man!

Missed you around here sir - good to see you back at it.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    A note about Flashbacks..(I just had my first recently).
    For some stupid reason, I viewed the flashback as some kind of rare phenomenon that may occur every odd full moon under just the precise set of circumstances. Fact is, if you are cooking at high temps and forget to burb, it WILL happen sooner than later.
  • Grillin Guy
    Grillin Guy Posts: 302
    I like to cook my steaks at 400 degrees instead of the Trex method. Try it.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    You should probably raise that to the first 10 cooks.

Greg
  • db
    db Posts: 37
    Last week I sold a large to a guy. He came in today and said he can't get the thing open. He did three cooks before taking the egg to 650 for steaks. I gave him a new gasket and told him I'd ask on this forum, how long to go before a hot cook? (Looks like 10 cooks)
    How to get the egg open to replace the gasket?
    Thanks
    db
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    sometimes you can light a fire inside and get it hot enough to loosen the glue, other times you have to cut it with a razor style knife. do not pry in the front were the hole is under the hinge, you will chip out that section if you do.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Nardi513
    Will give this a try, lot of new ways to cook with the egg.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    you aint lying! I got a right singed eyebrow to prove it :woohoo:
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Once they get super hot, and you didn't want a super hot cook...you are in for a long wait for the temperature to come back down. Temperature control for lower heat cooks will require some practice.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241