Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs - how many

Grasshopper
Grasshopper Posts: 108
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This Thursday i have been asked to do 6 racks of ribs. In the past the most i have done is 4 rack, which fit nicely in a rib rack on a Large. To fit 6 racks - is a plate setter Ok to use? Will the ribs under the setter be OK with the dippings? Ideas? I do the 3/1/1 method, so the time in foil needs to be OK too. Let me know, if available - show pics, too.
Thanks - you guys are the best.

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    I've done 6 racks on my large with no platesetter. Do them bone side down at 250º. I rotate them and move them so they overlap equally during the cook. It usually takes about 5 hours to finish them. I don't wrap in foil. They're done when the bone has pulled way back and you can almost twist the bone out of the meat.

All I use for rub is Dizzy Pig and I don't sauce them at the end either. Good luck!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    you can stand 4 up and lay the other 2 flat on top of them, cook them like you normally do if you like the method. you can use the stand and balance the other 2 standing against the sides as well or cook 3 each using a raised rack 3 over 3. 6 isnt that many, i think the record still stands at 20 racks. im not sure you meant to say putting the ribs under the platesetter, that wouldnt work well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    Below is a picture of 6 racks on a V rack on a Large Green Egg. They fit just fine.

I do full load of lump and some Cherry chips (handful). Let fire settle in at 250 for 30 minutes before putting dip pan with 3 cups Apple Juice and 1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar as well as a cut up Apple and some cherries. Next is grill then the V rack.

Cook for 3 hours spritzing with the drip pan mixture every hour. Individually wrap them in foil for 1.5 hours. Pull them out and put back on for an hour. Last 30 min. I crank them up to around 450 and sauce the ones that need sauce. Some i like to stay with just the rub.

Dizzy dust on top of French's mustard.

RESULTS!!!

FinishedRibs.jpg
  • Grasshopper
    Grasshopper Posts: 108
    Thanks everyone, Looks like it will be a go. Thanks for the photo - seeing is believing. I too like cherry wood for the smoke.
    Grasshopper
  • I have done 9 three times stacked in threes im cooking 9 saturday at the new england regg fest. I fill the burn box then put the rack extender on top of the lump then the pizza stone for indirect works great. i rotate every hour takes almost 4 hours at 250-275 it is a pain in the ass though but they are great.