Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Ribs - how many

GrasshopperGrasshopper Posts: 108
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This Thursday i have been asked to do 6 racks of ribs. In the past the most i have done is 4 rack, which fit nicely in a rib rack on a Large. To fit 6 racks - is a plate setter Ok to use? Will the ribs under the setter be OK with the dippings? Ideas? I do the 3/1/1 method, so the time in foil needs to be OK too. Let me know, if available - show pics, too.
Thanks - you guys are the best.

Comments

• SundownSundown Posts: 2,842
    I've done 6 racks on my large with no platesetter. Do them bone side down at 250ยบ. I rotate them and move them so they overlap equally during the cook. It usually takes about 5 hours to finish them. I don't wrap in foil. They're done when the bone has pulled way back and you can almost twist the bone out of the meat.

All I use for rub is Dizzy Pig and I don't sauce them at the end either. Good luck!
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 15,393
    you can stand 4 up and lay the other 2 flat on top of them, cook them like you normally do if you like the method. you can use the stand and balance the other 2 standing against the sides as well or cook 3 each using a raised rack 3 over 3. 6 isnt that many, i think the record still stands at 20 racks. im not sure you meant to say putting the ribs under the platesetter, that wouldnt work well
  • HitchHitch Posts: 402
    Below is a picture of 6 racks on a V rack on a Large Green Egg. They fit just fine.

I do full load of lump and some Cherry chips (handful). Let fire settle in at 250 for 30 minutes before putting dip pan with 3 cups Apple Juice and 1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar as well as a cut up Apple and some cherries. Next is grill then the V rack.

Cook for 3 hours spritzing with the drip pan mixture every hour. Individually wrap them in foil for 1.5 hours. Pull them out and put back on for an hour. Last 30 min. I crank them up to around 450 and sauce the ones that need sauce. Some i like to stay with just the rub.

Dizzy dust on top of French's mustard.

RESULTS!!!

FinishedRibs.jpg
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Posts: 108
    Thanks everyone, Looks like it will be a go. Thanks for the photo - seeing is believing. I too like cherry wood for the smoke.
    Grasshopper
  • I have done 9 three times stacked in threes im cooking 9 saturday at the new england regg fest. I fill the burn box then put the rack extender on top of the lump then the pizza stone for indirect works great. i rotate every hour takes almost 4 hours at 250-275 it is a pain in the ass though but they are great.