Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone drill hole in dome?

UnConundrum
UnConundrum Posts: 536
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was wondering if anyone has attempted to drill a hole in the dome? I want to insert a temp probe, and keep the wires out of the way, so inserting it above the hinge would be best. I'm thinking of using a diamond impregnated bit, like used for drilling ceramic tile, but thought I'd see if anyone else has any experience drilling their egg. Obviously, I know the risks, and should I break it, it's all on me...

Comments

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    never done that but i would surely start the hole with a diamond bit in the dremel at high speed with water and a very lite touch to get thru the glaze and leave a dimple that accepts your bit to avoid undo pressure and slipping . also i wonder about stress on the ceramic at the hinge area??
    maybe in the back at the same distance from the dfmt as the thermometer in the fornt so you can compare??? good luck
    bill
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Not sure what kind of probe you want to insert, but most temp probes will fit thru the existing temp gage hole..why not use that? Also, if you have a digiQ, the alligator clip on the pit probe can be removed leaving a nice straight temp probe which fits nicely thru the temp gage opening ;)
  • UnConundrum
    Yeah, I didn't explain myself well. I do want to be up in the dome, not at the hinges, but in the rear LIKE the hinges.....

I remember reaming out the thermometer hole years ago to take a bigger probe, but the wire has always been a pia.... Now that I'm playing with the stoker, I want to set it up right.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    If you can wait till this weekend. I'll try and drill a hole in an dome I received. It came in broken and was replaced so it's just sitting there waiting on experimentation.
  • UnConundrum
    Yeah, I use the front hole now, but the cable then hangs over the side and tends to get in the way. I'm looking for a permanent connection. Want to put the probe just through the dome, and then high-temp silicone it in place.

Here's a pic of my set up.... you can see that the stoker is in the rear, and I'd like the cable to tuck in the back as well...

ECG22.jpg

BTW, here's a thread with a bunch of pictures of the Knife Gathering we had at my place this past weekend :)

Click Here
  • UnConundrum
    Cool :) I appreciate it. I have to order the probe anyway....
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    No problem. I'll drill a few different holes with drills and Dremels. I'll post on Sat with the results.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    maybe the mothership or someone with a broken egg can give you a piece to experiment with ???

and for those of you reading this... i had the pleasure of eating his food and seeing his set up this weekend... any help you can give him will benefit us all
    bill
  • JonLadd
    JonLadd Posts: 18
    I drilled it with a masonry bit a long time ago for my Pit Minder probe. The new hole is in the back (above the hinge) of the egg and at the same height up as the front one. I can see/verify the temp on the front gauge while cooking this way. The probe wire to the rear needs to be a foot longer though on the L BGE to open and close the dome without pulling on it. I'm happy with the setup.
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    I want to enlarge the present hole or drill a new one also.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Rather than potentially voiding the warranty I'd run the probe wires out the back between the felt and attach the end to the bottom side of the grate. You'll need to adjust your temps accordingly, but you won't be drilling into a warranted piece of equipment.
  • I believe Darry ( Smitty the smoker) Drilled into the dome with a ceramic bit to put in a different Temp gauage. Might want to ping him for questions & such. ;)
  • I believe Darry ( Smitty the smoker) Drilled into the dome with a ceramic bit to put in a different Temp gauage. Might want to ping him for questions & such. ;)
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    Mike in Abita, if you do test drilling this weekend would you put the results in a new thread. I think this would be of interest to many of us. Just my 2 cents. thanks rc
  • acs55812
    acs55812 Posts: 19
    Could I get an update to the drill success/failures?

I have a want to put a 11/16ths hole in the middle of the lower part of the egg an possible a couple temp probes in addition to that.

Thanks
    Dan