Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sea Bass, anyone?

Options
Sweathog
Sweathog Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey, does anyone have any bright ideas for sea bass? This means you, Richard Fl, especially. Any tips or prep would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Sweathog

Jim Massie

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    from the few that i have this one looks like it might be second best but i am not sure if you have a wok and bamboo steamer so try this::

Sea Bass, Salt-Baked Branzino, Char Buddy

This is a simple fish dish I have adapted for the Egg from a recipe I saw this summer in a magazine describing how David Pasternack (chef at Esca, New York) uses salt to seal in flavor for a grilled fish.

Ingredients:
    3 cup sea salt, or kosher salt
    4 large egg whites (I use egg whites from a carton - All Whites)
    2 whole branzini (European sea bass) or small sea bass
    6 sprigs fresh parsley
    4 sprigs fresh rosemary
    2 Clove garlic
    4 lemon slices, halved
    parchment paper
    seven newspaper sheets

Preparation Directions:
    1 I got familiar with Branzino a few months ago when my fishmonger started carrying it. I've tried it different ways, but this treatment produces truly haunting flavors. Branzino is a Mediterranean-version of sea bass and you can substitute small sea bass, but its texture and flavor remind me more of red snapper.
    2 Mix the salt and egg whites until you get a consistency like wet sand. Vary the mix until you get it right and do not worry about having too much salt.
    Cooking Directions:
    1 Rinse and dry the fish. Fill the fish cavity with the parsley, rosemary, garlic and lemon slices. No salt or pepper, please.
    2 Put the fish on parchment paper cut generously to fit the two fish.
    3 Build salt mounds evenly over each fish. Make sure both fish are covered completely.
    4 Crank the egg up to 400* f. Soak some wood chips (alder, apple, etc) and add them to the fire if you like.
    5 Here comes the exciting part. Cut the seven newspaper sheets to fit the parchment paper and put them under the parchment paper. Put the fish and paper on a cutting board for transport to the EGG.
    6 When the Egg comes to temp, move the newspapers/fish onto the egg and close the cover immediately. Make sure your guests see this and let them wonder whether the newspapers will burn up.
    7 Cook the fish for at least 20 minutes. If you can see the fish through the chimmey, or you feel lucky enough to lift the dome, you can tell when the fish is ready by the color of the salt. The more golden the salt dome, the greater the chances the fish is done. Golden is good, anything darker is bad. If by chance your fish emerges uncooked, just put them in a sheet pan and cook until done.
    8 After the salt mounds turn golden and cake, you should be able to put a large spatula under the paper and lift them out as one item. Let them cool for a bit, then crack the salt away from the fish, then carefully lift fish from bones.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Seafood

Recipe Source
    Author: char buddy

Source: BGE Forum, Char Buddy

Gourmet Magazine, 06/01

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Sweathog
    Sweathog Posts: 75
    Options
    Thanks, Terry. I filed this away for another day, when I have more time to shop for the ingredients. It looks great.

Jim Massie

Sweathog
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Got a few/ Drop me an email addy!