Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Ashes to....

LeggoMyEgg0LeggoMyEgg0 Posts: 13
edited 9:02AM in EggHead Forum
Hi All,
I just cleaned out my egg after a finishing off a 20# bag of BGE lump. A nice fine grey ash, it seems like a shame to just pitch it. Is there any use for this stuff, like in the garden or composting?
Thanks!

Comments

• East Cobb EggyEast Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Very good question. I never thought about it.

Will have to watch the responses on this one.

Greg
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 8,009
    I place mine in my herb garden, under the bougenvillas and in the back yard grass. For the last 4 years have not noticed any problems
  • BobSBobS Posts: 2,485
    You could collect the ash and use it to make homemade soap. :laugh:

The ash is very high in pH. People pay for lime for yards and gardens, so it certainly works for that, if you want. The volumes are so low, I am not sure the view is worth the climb.
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,400
    This should help: http://www.plantea.com/pH.htm
    Ashes actually score on the low (acid) side of neutral (7) on the ph scale. Anything above that is alkaline or "sweet".
  • ST1SSDVST1SSDV Posts: 25
    I think it's the other way around.. ash is base (opposite of acid), similar to lime. If you do a search on "wood ash" there are a lot of links that describe using it in the garden as a liming agent. Mixing a little with your compost helps keep it in the working range. If you use it in the garden, spread it. As with lime, plants like a little and it will help pull acidic
    soil back into the good pH range.
  • Thanks for the input. Well, I have gone through two large bags of lump in the first two months of owning my egg, and I would say I have collected at least 1 # of ash. Maybe not a commercially viable quantity, but certainly a useful amount. Just wanted to check, I believe Rascal meant that ashes are alkaline, not acidic.
    Cheers,
    B
    Sorry, my dyslexia kicked in again...
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    Great for the soil, but don't use them on acid loving plants like azaleas, camelias, rhododendrons, etc.
    The Naked Whiz