Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Ashes to....

LeggoMyEgg0LeggoMyEgg0 Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,
I just cleaned out my egg after a finishing off a 20# bag of BGE lump. A nice fine grey ash, it seems like a shame to just pitch it. Is there any use for this stuff, like in the garden or composting?
Thanks!
·

Comments

• East Cobb EggyEast Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Very good question. I never thought about it.

Will have to watch the responses on this one.

Greg
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,737
    I place mine in my herb garden, under the bougenvillas and in the back yard grass. For the last 4 years have not noticed any problems
    ·
  • BobSBobS Posts: 2,485
    You could collect the ash and use it to make homemade soap. :laugh:

The ash is very high in pH. People pay for lime for yards and gardens, so it certainly works for that, if you want. The volumes are so low, I am not sure the view is worth the climb.
    ·
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,348
    This should help: http://www.plantea.com/pH.htm
    ·
    Ashes actually score on the low (acid) side of neutral (7) on the ph scale. Anything above that is alkaline or "sweet".
    ·
  • ST1SSDVST1SSDV Posts: 25
    I think it's the other way around.. ash is base (opposite of acid), similar to lime. If you do a search on "wood ash" there are a lot of links that describe using it in the garden as a liming agent. Mixing a little with your compost helps keep it in the working range. If you use it in the garden, spread it. As with lime, plants like a little and it will help pull acidic
    soil back into the good pH range.
    ·
  • Thanks for the input. Well, I have gone through two large bags of lump in the first two months of owning my egg, and I would say I have collected at least 1 # of ash. Maybe not a commercially viable quantity, but certainly a useful amount. Just wanted to check, I believe Rascal meant that ashes are alkaline, not acidic.
    Cheers,
    B
    ·
    Sorry, my dyslexia kicked in again...
    ·
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    Great for the soil, but don't use them on acid loving plants like azaleas, camelias, rhododendrons, etc.
    The Naked Whiz
    ·