Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked garlic

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone tried smoking bulbs of garlic ? If so, how exactly did you do it ?

Comments

• Janet
    Janet Posts: 102
    Options
    EJ,
    I haven't smoked garlic, but now I know what else to put on the Egg while I try to carefully smoke some almonds. Ummm garlic and almonds and smoke - sounds like a good combination.[p]Janet[p]

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    EJ,[p]That is the only way I will use garlic. I smoke it and dry it and then grind it. A very FRESH taste that you will not get from the store-bought stuff.[p]Drying is quite simple....just keep your temps below 180º and it will take most of the day.....perhaps a challenge on the Egg. Peel the clives and pour lots of smoke to it early(I use my jerky set-up to hold the cloves. Be sure it is completely dry before grinding. You could also smoke it heavily for a couple of hours and then finish drying in a dehydrator.[p]To save yourself some time, buy the 3 lb. jars of already peeled cloves......Sam's or a food wholesaler will carry these.[p]I also roast garlic and use in many recipes. To roast, use a whole bulb. Cut the top off and pour some olive oil over it. Wrap in foil and roast for about an hour.....temp of 350º will work. [p]This method can be improved upon by poaching this top portion in milk. When cutting, be sure each clove is exposed. Then, turn it upside down and place in simmering milk for about 10 minutes. Wash the milk off and then wrap in foil and bake for an hour.[p]
    Stogie

• Porkchop
    Porkchop Posts: 155
    Options
    holy cow does that sound good!!
  • Stogie,[p]Thanks. I have roasted garlic in the oven and love that. I was hoping to end up with some smoked garlic infused olive oil for dipping bread. After smoking the garlic, would I then just chop or slice some and put it in some olive oil for a few days in the refrigerator ? I think this could be quite tasty.

• Porkchop
    Porkchop Posts: 155
    Options
    doesn't olive oil solidify in the frige-idator?

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    EJ,[p]You could do that. Porkchop is correct...Olive Oil will solidify in the fridge, but it will then re-liquefy when warmed. The question is, how much infusion can take place when the oil is solid? I think, not much(though I have never tried it).[p]There is much controversy over infusing oils. Most of the health agencies no longer suggest home cooks do this. There is a high danger of botulism when infusing garlic and oil...especially when the infusing takes place outside of the fridge. I know many have done it that way for years with no ill effects, I just wanted to point it out.[p]Instead, just chop or smash some smoked garlic up and place in oil a couple hours before you plan on using it. OR, what I now do, I take my finely powdered garlic and sprinkle it in the oil and mix it up. This is also how I make garlic butter.[p]My powdered smoke garlic is so fresh tasting that I lose NO flavor in the process. It is so much easier than chopping, mincing or smashing...no more of that for me![p]Stogie