Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker chicken graph

UnConundrum
UnConundrum Posts: 536
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In case anyone is interested, we continue to work on a new platform independent graphing tool for the stoker. I'm currently doing two chickens on the egg, following another members suggestion of a high temp (500F) cook. So, we have two chickens on a V rack, breast down, at 500F. Not sure they'll be done in the suggested 1 hour though.... 20 minutes to go.

If you're interested, You can find the graph here Comments and suggestions on the software are welcome. We'll be releasing the app to the general public when done.

Comments

• UnConundrum
    We agree, the 500 F chicken is a success :) My wife says, do it again :)

615-smoked-chicken.png?1214183055

1105-smoked-chicken.jpg

1106-smoked-chicken.jpg?1214183348
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    This is the one reason I'd pick a Stoker over a DigiQ II. I really like the ability to analyze a cook afterward. Thanks, UC.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Yes, absolutely interested. Your graphing looks great! I like all of the variables and the different colors to distinguish each one. Any guestimate on when you can go public? Great job so far!
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    How did you protect the prob wires at high heat?

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• UnConundrum
    LOL, I didn't. I get sloppy that way. The cook is more important.... If it was over 500, I'd wrap them in foil. Haven't had an issue yet, but the cables aren't as flexible as when I got them. Being a nerd, I like to use the system with all my cooks, so I hope to reverse-engineer the probes soon and buy some really high temp resistant replacements. I've found some that go to 2K F, but I have to figure out how the probes are wired first.
  • UnConundrum
    Thanks.... We probably want to fix a few bugs and have the graph automatically refresh itself before we release our first beta. Comments and suggestions are the kind of encouragement that seems to justify a little more time for these side projects :) Also waiting for Rock to get back to us with a translation of the telnet output. We're scraping the web interface for what we have, and that's slow.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Well keep up the good work, I sure appreciate your efforts. I just can't wait to get my hands on it. :evil: :whistle: It's always fun watching a project develope fully. Thanks again.
  • I love to use my Stoker for most of my cooks as well.

I'd be very interested if you can figure out a way to design your own high temperature probes.

E-mail me if you do.

Thanks!
  • This sounds great!! Would like to use a really stable application like this.

Would also like to be able to link the cook to my website for online viewing.

One thing I found very useful on another application I downloaded from a guy named Amir on the following Weber forum, was to track the fan flow - how often and intesity the fan is running it is going on and off so you can see how stable fuel level is..i.e fan on alot means that you could be runnin low on fuel...

One other important thing is to get a data file stored somewhere so it can manage graphs etc using excel after a cook.

Link to Automatic Temperature Control site on the "Virtual Weber Bullet" forum.

Automatic Temperature Control Link

I have downloaded and use StokerLog v5.2 which is really cool.
  • Do you host Ruby locally on a box at your house or at a web host? I sent in a request to get ruby installed, but I can't imagine they'll want to do it. PHP is about all they give me (besides the crappy FP extensions).