Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Pizza

Options
407BGE
407BGE Posts: 187
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked pizza for the first time and it was great. I filled up the firebox with new lump and let it run full blast for an hour with the stone The egg was up over 750 and the crust was crisp and the cheese perfectly melted. Pizza's were about 13 inch diameter and were done in 3:15 seconds flat!

I fried the gasket and likely blew out me egg thermometer. I will need to replace the gasket with the Nomex and replace the thermometer with a 1000 degree model.

My question is will the hurt the egg? Any concerns with 800 degree cooking?

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I melted my thermo with this cook.The gasket was in bad shape and needed replacing already.Now when I cook this hot,I pull my thermo out :pinch: Those things are 18 bucks apiece :pinch: :silly: :lol:

008-1-1.jpg

007.jpg
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    No problem with an 800 degree cook. Don't worry, just cook.
  • Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    I love my high temp pizza. Unfortunately I have also sacrificed my gasket to the EGG Gods.
    I asked Fishlessman (he has some fabulous pictures) about his gasket; he seems to be running without one.
    When I ran into my local Egg Representative his suggestion was to get a second egg. One for low and slow and one I don’t have to worry about the gasket on.
    I think a nomex gasket might be a tad cheaper then a second egg.
    The note Fishlessman sent me listed several more cautions. Hopefully he will catch this string. Watch for lose bands!
    TTFN WLL
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    I'm getting fabulous pizza in the 600 degree range.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    If I remember right, and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, The EGG is fired in a 2000 deg kiln to set the ceramic. Should be no problem going to 800.

The guys at the mothership actually filled an EGG full of lump, lit it, took off the top and added more and more and more lump to it. They had the thing completely full of lump. (Coundn't phisically fit anymore in it) It ran for quite a few hours at who knows what temp and not one problem.