Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Soo...

Options
Dave
Dave Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone spatched a turkey? thinkinga nice little 8-9 pounder for a couple hours...???[p]Do like the sc'ed chicken...man o man...[p]

Comments

• Dave,
    not saying it can't be done, but it would be considerably more work.[p]The carcass structure is the same, however, the breastbone area is MUCH MUCH MUCH thicker than a chicken. You'd almost have to debone it first to get it to lay flat on the grill.

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Dave,[p]You might want to take a look at the butterflied turkey recipe linked below. Cat published this a couple of years ago, if my memory serves me.[p]Puj
    [ul][li]Butterflied Turkey[/ul]
  • Janet
    Janet Posts: 102
    Options
    Dave,
    A few weeks ago I was watching America's Test Kitchen on PBS as they prepared a spatchcocked turkey. After cutting out the back bone, they whacked the heck out of the bird with a rolling pin to make it of more uniform thickness.[p]Here's the pictorial:
    http://www.americastestkitchen.com/images/CarvingButterflyingTurkey.pdf

• Jolly Roger,[p]When the spatchcock idea was first touted, one of the
    steps included placing the bird on its back, after the back bone was removed, and removing the keelbone. [p]This would be done by taking a sharp paring knife and slicing down to the keelbone and inserting your index fingers on either side of the keelbone and loosening it up until you can just remove the keel bone.[p]This allows the bird to lay much flatter, without any violence on your part.[p]I will look for the post and try and post it as a followup.[p]Sespe Pete

• Sespe Pete,[p]Bad Skinny, Pete! You bozo, you.[p]I should have said to lay it down on it's chest, spread the two halves of the back apart, until you have access to the keelbone. Sorry Pete, it won't happen again![p]Pete