Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new style gasket

Options
AL
AL Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone experance the new style gasket seperating from the sticky tape, with the tape staying on the egg and the gasket loose.

Comments

• Eggermeister
    Options
    I install a new gasket yesterday. The package stated that if the gaskeg comes loose use Elmers glue to repair
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Happened to me on Friday night. I had used the egg for over a month doing low and slows. I needed a pizza fix and went to 550 dome for the cook. Put the pizza in and came back in 8 min to check and sure enough gasket let loose on the top. I just removed it the rest of the way and kept cooking. After the second Za was finished I looked closer and noticed the bottom gasket was loose also. So I took it off too. That left no gasket, what to do, what to do? I took out the platesetter and added a whole bunch of lump and took off the DFMT and opened the bottom slider all the way. Heated that sucker up to well past 750. Came back in a few hours and opened it up a noticed most of the adhesive tape had burned away, so I added more lump and let her go again.

Woke up Saturday and checked it. No more adhesive and a very clean egg loaded with ash. Disassembled egg and cleaned ash. Grabbed the can of 3M "77" Adhesive and sprayed a thin film on the back side of the gasket. Then sprayed a thicker film on the egg. Then I just re applied the gasket and now I'm back in business. This is the second time I have experienced this.
  • AL
    AL Posts: 81
    Options
    mike

I'am still trying to figure out why should the tape stay and the gasket falls off. My gasket has been on for over 2 months and never over 550 with know problems.

You used the spray glue and re apply just the gasket and let the glue tape burned off.

al
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Yep.

Just burned off the tape and reapplied the gasket. Not sure why this is happening. This is my second set of Nomex gaskets. First one did the same thing. Had a base and dome issue a few moths ago and when I got the new pieces I put new Nomex on. I thought the cure time for the Nomex would have been adequate, but it let loose again.

I do feel a lot more comfortable knowing that now I have a straight gasket to adhesive contact. No more plastic adhesive tape to worry about.