Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Salmon Advise Needed

bobhart
bobhart Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I volunteered to smoke some salmon for the local Elks lodge. I got a great rub recipe from a friend.

Understand the process up till the smoking...have never used the BGE to smoke lower than 230 for pork butt...

How low can a steady temp be acheived?

Am told it should take about 6 hrs between 150 and 160.

Thanks in advance,

bobhart

Comments

• I saw someone on this forum post a cold smoke using a small amount of lump in a metal coffee can.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Bob,

I'm wondering if your information of 6 hours is not meant for using a cold smoking box? Are you brining or dry curing your salmon?

DSC01185a.jpg

7e88cf0e.jpg

Even during the winter, the best I've been able to hold in my Egg is 170° to 180°, and often I use my Guru to help me with that. So technically this is "hot smoking". I will slide a drip pan with ice in it under the grate extender when the temp gets too high. My smoked salmon from the Egg will take 3 to 4 hours for big fillets.

Just for comparison, here is some from my smoker box which was running at 150° and it took 5 to 6 hours.

DSC02744a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • bobhart
    Will do a search - thanks!

bob
  • bobhart
    I see what you are getting at. Maybe the BGE (unless I can find the link from the post above) is not what I want to use.

I have a friend with a smoker that may be the thing to use. I might have to get a 12-pack and head over there!

Thanks,

Bob
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Bob,

Collage-Salmon.jpg

I'm not saying it can't be done in the Egg, I've done an awful lot of smoked salmon in mine, an awful lot. ;) I just didn't want you to take a technique (and in this case cook times) for one kind of smoker and use it in another kind because they all cook a little differently. Heck, you may find that you like the hot smoked better. Just like you might like different seasonings or texture. Or you may prefer brined to dry cured.......

In all fairness, the type of box smoker I have does a very good job on fish, cheese, nuts and the like because of the rack system, and the low temps it will run at. It can hold a lot of product. But the best it can do on other meats (ribs, chops, butts etc.) is provide a flavor smoke. They would need to be moved to a cooker whih more heat output for the finish.

d9b2bbdc.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery