Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chimney?

Options
BulldawgEgger
BulldawgEgger Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just purchased a charcoal chimney- has anyone used this before. I hate having to keep going to the store to buy those little square starters. Before I try the chimney, I wanted to get some feedback from those that have tried it.

Comments

• Smokin-AJ's
    Options
    Get you a propane torch... It works better and faster.
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    I know there are Eggers who like a chimney. In my Webber days, I used one religiously. I've found that the BGE acts like a big chimney for starting and I don't need anything else. I'm using paraffin-based starters buried in the lump - light and leave open for 10 minutes or so (to burn off the starter) then close the lid with top and bottom wide open and the fire gets going very quickly.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Twist up a paper towel, put some vegetable oil on it, push it down in the lump and light it. No more "little starter squares".
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    There's a 100 way's to light the egg and 95 of them are good. I like the weed burner or starter cubes for low temps. Just figure what works best for you as long as it's not fluid :sick::sick: . Small propane or Mapp are also favorites.
  • Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    I have used a chimney with success. For a low and slow fill about 3 inches and dump in a pocket in the center. For hot and fast fill it and spread it.
    I have jumped around to a lot of different methods and can't decide on a favorite. Tonight was the oil and towel. Yesterday it was alcohol.
    I sometimes I like to toss my wood chunks in my chimney starter with the lump to try and give them a head start.

TTFN WLL
  • Lizard Dragger
    Options
    I always use a chimney. I put it on the sideburner on my Weber gas grill and it's ready to go by the time I get the Egg cleaned out and prepped.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Use the chimney to get some briguettes going for the kettle, put your corn/potatos & bread n there, with the main course on the egg. The firebox acts as a chimney starter.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    I use a chimney as well. It works great. It is not quite as fast as the torch method, but works well for me and the coals are ready to use in 5-15 minutes depending on how much is in the chimney.
  • NooBBQ
    NooBBQ Posts: 134
    Options
    OK, I am going to be the party pooper here, or he cheerleader.

I think a lot of Eggers are gadget freaks, so it is all good.

I started with lighter blocks, then went to a chimney, which I still occasionally use. From there I bought an electric starter, which works well, but the extension cord became bothersome.

So lets try the MAPP torch (which works beautiful), and fast, and you can do both light the whole thing as well as started a small fire.

After that I kept hearing about the weedburner, but I also knew that for the same money I could by the "club" from BBQGuru. I dislike the weedburner for its lack of portability (read 20# tank)

Now I have the club ($25 or so) a cheapo propane torch ($11 Walmart) and I don;t use anything else anymore. The club really is that good. Given I also had a bottle of MAPP sitting around, I am actually using the el-cheapo torch (used to mix the gas/air) with the club, and it makes starting the egg (and anything else for that matter) a breeze, and it is nice and portable.

Truth be told, it will just be a matter of time before I add a weedburner to the assortment, after all what is better than playing with fire.

nooBBQ,
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    I've used a variety of things. The easiest I have used are Trioxane Fuel Tablets which are commonly used by backpackers to boil water on the trail. Actually they are manufactured for military heating of MRE. I have a friend that gets these really cheap..

I also have a chimney starter that I use occasionally and keep the little cubes around. I haven't gone the propane yet but that looks to be the fastest.
  • Chad
    Chad Posts: 35
    Options
    Bernzomatice JT850 + small propane or mapp bottle

http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-JT850-Self-Igniting-Outdoor-Torch/dp/B00008ZA0F

have the charcoal lit within 1 minute, then let the fire burn clean within the next 10.

With this you don't need that 20lb propane bottle holding you back