Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I AM DONE FOR ! !

Options
MW
MW Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today was the day! Amidst and in spite of all caution of marauding neighbors and relatives that will never leave, I purchased an egg! This is for my wife’s birthday and well….it IS the new millennium! [p]I got the large. It would have been a ‘medium’ but could never have faced all those forum folks who so loudly said “GET A LARGE”. . .also got the table it sits in, the ash tool, the grill tool, the daisy wheel and thermometer, oh, and a stainless tray to smoke fish on. [p]Sometime in the afternoon tomorrow it will be delivered . . installed more like…and of course, now the question larger than the meaning of life itself…..what to cook on it for the first time…something simple…yet convincing… [p]Thank you! - every one of you who has offered advice to me during the last nail-biting week or so…I have appreciated it and will continue to do so.[p]MW

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    MW,
    Congrats and welcome again!
    You will be happy with the large. [p]How much time do you have for your first cook?
    Ribs are the best ever...but they take 3-4 hours to cook.
    Go for ribs if you have the time.[p]London Broil is superb, although I just realized we haven't heard much talk of it lately. Inexpensive meat, but full of flavor and easy to do on your egg. [p]Tanker Tim's Okinawa wings are a current favorite. You could do those as a warm up.[p]I cooked up 12 pounds of Bulgoki on my first cook.[p]Whatever you pick, you are just gettin' your feet wet.
    Enjoy.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    MW, Congratulations..you have just made one of the most rewarding purchases of your lifetime..and it will treat you well in the coming years.[p]I was about to make a post and now you saved me the trouble. This evening I made (after two years of BGE'ing) my first sirloin beef steak. I would encourage anyone to try it if you can find some on the shelves. This might be a first run trial for you and the familey..(?)[p]I purchased a pack of two large sirloin steaks about 1 inch thick and almost platter sized. I marinated one and its in the fridge, and the other I slathered with mustard and used a dry rub (Char-Crust Original) dusted over it and let it rest to room temperature. (slightly froze yet in the middle)
    Got the BGE up to a respectable 500 to 600 degrees, (didn't want 700+ on these) and seared em for 3 to 4 minutes per side. (a bit longer than high temp searing of 2 minutes)
    Then I shut the dampers down and let em simmer over hot coals for another 8 minutes with all vents closed and capped off.
    This steak was magnificent in flavor and tenderness and juice. The strong beef flavor was outstanding. I think personally it equals or beats New York Strip for 1/3 the price.
    Cheers...Char-Woody

• MW
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Thanks, both of you for the initial tips...I may try the Smoked Tuna Steaks by Bryan Compton in the Seafood Rec. on this site...simple, and then save a ribs or meat dish for the weekend. Tuna steaks straight on the grill as per the instructions? or should I try out the new stainless fish grill - a circular plate with holes in it - 'fraid the fisk steaks may stick to the grill....
    1st time...its gotta be good..
    Thanks all
    MW

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    MW,
    I am not familiar with the recipe, but with tuna, just use your BGE grate. Get it real hot first, 600-700, then sear in for a couple minutes a side. Flip only once, and get ready for a treat.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    MW,[p]Congratulations on the new family member. I recommend the first cook be steak (my first cook on the EGG). No worries about temp control (just get it HOT) and a good all around start. The results will be most rewarding and leave you and yours with the desire to explore more possibilities with your new EGG. Allow your cooker to impress you.[p]Spin
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    MW,[p]Welcome to the forum and the family!!
    I humbly suggest smoking a salmon filet as your Egg's inaugral event. They come out perfect every time and the recipe section is full of good advice[p]K~G

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    MW,
    go for the plain & simple! Try a decent steak! You will be amazed and delighted. That'll give you the nerve to go on to bigger and (can't get much) better things.
    Welcome to the 'clan'! You won't find'em any better![p]Dr. Chicken

• KennyG
    Options
    MW,[p]Welcome to the forum and the family!!
    I humbly suggest smoking a salmon filet as your Egg's inaugral event. They come out perfect every time and the recipe section is full of good advice[p]K~G

• Elder Ward
    Options
    MW[p]
    Steak![p]
    Elder Ward

• Char-Woody
    Options
    KennyG, Is saying it twice being humble..?? Did I hear you say Salmon Filet..?? I bet MaryB would second that one. After tonights Sirloin..its a toss!! :-) And you forgot the primary PBR..!!
    C~W[p]

• SpiceCooks
    Options
    MW,
    And if you REALLY want to impress someone, try the brined chop recipe. I can guarantee you everyone will fall in love with you. Yummy!!!!!

• KennyG
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I had a lengthy icq dialogue going on when working on this post. When it was over I couldn't remember if I submitted it or not. Must have been the PBR hehe[p]K~G[p]
  • Dr. Chicken
    Options
    MW,
    Well, have you decided yet?
    A decision like that, is almost like deciding to ask your future wife to marry you! Not many other decisions in life that will affect you for so long a time![p]Dr. Chicken

• MW
    Options
    Well the decision is made..... STEAK!....or was that FISH...or a FISH STEAK.....WOW just over excited I guess...8 hours and counting....
    Thank you ALL for your encouragement...Really!
    MW

• Kamper
    Kamper Posts: 41
    Options
    MW,[p]Steak. No question about it: STEAK!

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    MW,
    I can't believe what I'm seing here. After all the yammering about birds and briskets, you guys want steak! But pork fat rules. Go with some lo and slo baby back or spare ribs.

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    MW,
    Nothing whets the egg appetite better than a good thick steak.... They're easy, fast, and delicious. Gotta go with the steak for the first meal. It's a confidence builder...gotta walk before you run.

• MW,Congrats on your decision, you won't be sorry. I did burgers then a prime rib. Both turned out great. Nothing like the BGE.

• Elizabeth
    Options
    JimW,Ah, another Emeril fan- yippee! Cheers, Elizabeth

• Char-Woody
    Options
    KennyG, That makes sense..:-) Acceptable excuse!!
    C~W