Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

baby back ribs - overcooked

Options
BUBBA
BUBBA Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just cooked for the first time on my new BGE tonite with mixed results. I cooked three small racks of baby backs indirectly at 300. I had no problem maintaining 300. After 2.5 hrs I went to turn the ribs and they were done. One rack was completely burned and the others were a tad overcooked but delicious. I had no idea they'd be done in less than 2.5 hrs. Any suggestions for improvement would be much appreciated.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Bubba,
    You probably want to use a lower temperature than 300. Did you do them direct? That might be why they were done so soon. I find ribs take some practice. My first cook was a steak! You might check out Tim M's site for how he does ribs:

[ul][li]Tim M's site[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • BUBBA
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Thanks for the info. I cooked them indirectly using a ceramic stone. The temp kept creaping up on me--I think I just need more practice regulating the temp. How do you suggest keeping the temp at 200? I had the bottom and top vents almost closed at 300 degrees.

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Bubba,
    Cook these all the time. I do them direct at 250º using a v-rack. Put the large bone up and cook for abut 2.5 hrs.
    As for maintaining temp start closing down the vents when the thermometer reaches 180º. I believe you are letting the dome temp get too hot therefore having trouble getting the temp to drop.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Bubba,
    If the temp keeps creeping up, you might have an air leak. Is the bottom slide vent sealed all the way around or is there a gap? If there is a gap you definitely want to seal it with high temp silicone. [p]Also, don't let the egg get hotter than you are going to cook. Once the ceramic heats up, it takes forever to get the thing to cool down. Approach the cooking temp from below and slowly cut back the air as the temp approaches the cooking temp. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BUBBA
    Options
    JJ,[p]Thanks. Do you turn them at all during the 2.5 hr. cooking process? I'll have to go out and buy a v-rack.
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Bubba,
    Swinging for the fence on the frist pitch, huh? Ribs... I have had an egg for 3 years and I'm still tyring to perfect that.. always good, but I can do better.
    Yes, get some practice regulating the temp. Try the spatchcock chicken or pork chops....
    baby steps, baby steps....

Apollo Beach, FL
  • BUBBA
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    The gasket is worn out one side and there's a slight (just a hair) gap between the dome and the bottom part of the egg. Other than that, no holes. Thank for the advice--I'll start adjusting at 180 degrees.

• JJ
    Options
    Bubba,
    I do not turn them.

• JJ
    Options
    Bubba,
    Gaskets won't make that big a difference. I have not change a gasket in any of my EGGS and one is 28 years old. I will be cooking baby backs at EGGtoberfest this year in addition to a 5 cheese quiche. Plan to attend.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Bubba,
    You might check your thermometer in boiling water to see if it reads 212° or is at least close.
    New Bob

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Bubba, The low and slow always wins the gold. I cook my babybacks at 200-225 for up to 5 hours indirect. I'm assumming you removed the membrane, some people say it doesn't help others like myself sear by it. It is probably against rules but I do sprinkle Adolf's meat tenderizer on my ribs. A lot of competion cookers do it also they just don't admit to it.[p]CWM