Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

scallop question?

Options
Vegas Slim
Vegas Slim Posts: 166
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
local store has jumbos sea scallops on sale at 4.99 a pound how would i egg these?

Comments

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Vegas Slim,[p]High heat...500-600º...and only for a few minutes. Best to test doneness by cutting one in half and looking for the opaqueness as a sign.[p]You can do as simple as coat with olive oil and salt and pepper or you can get other flavors involved.[p]I have lots of scallop recipes, so holler if you want them.[p]Stogie
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Vegas Slim,[p]Stogie covered it pretty well, I also do scallops a lot and love them on the egg. I rub a little olive oil on them and then use Big Bubba's (Pescatore) Rubba. Grill them at 500* for a couple of minutes a side using bamboo skewers a jerky screen or any fine mesh grill tray. I then like to dip them in a little melted butter.[p]If you ever get the chance to buy "dry " scallops they are well worth the extra money. Much more flavor and firmer than the usual ones you can buy. [p]Chuck <><

• Vegas Slim
    Vegas Slim Posts: 166
    Options
    Chuck,
    thanks to both of you for the replies...now what is dry scallops? i think i will marinade in italian dressing then wrap in bacon and put on a bamboo skewer

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Vegas Slim,[p]The scallop and bacon idea is also one of my favorites. I make a dip of mayo, dijon mustard and a little sherry. It is excellant with the bacon wrapped scallops.[p]Dry scallops are basically how they come out of the shell. The government allows scallops to have 25% added water to them. Dry scallops have no added water and thus retain more of their flavor and texture. When I first bought them the guy behind the counter warned me that once I tried them I would never go back to the usual scallops......he was correct.[p]Good luck and let us know how they come out.[p]Chuck <><

• AndyR
    AndyR Posts: 130
    Options
    Vegas Slim,[p]Scallops and lemon make a cute couple. Try to introduce them to corn as well. Be creative and scallops are a real treat. It does not take long for them to be done so watch them closely. High and fast is the ticket. (this reads like a horoscope doesn't it)
  • Clarky
    Clarky Posts: 16
    Options
    Vegas Slim,
    Dry scollops are definitely the best. They can smell more than the normal grocery store bought but that is because they are the "real deal", 100% natural. The others are somewhat synthetic.[p]Try wrapping in prosciutto, slice the top with tip of knife blade and drop some tabasco into each, then place a thin pat of butter in center. Unbelievable!